Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A little embarrassed to ask......

Default A little embarrassed to ask......

Is it possible for what I eat to constipate my dd? She's been "going" a lot less lately, even full days with nothing and then the next day only a little. And I just now realized that I've been a little constipated. If I am, is is possible or normal that she might be too?

Default Re: A little embarrassed to ask......

BF babies can go up to 7 days without a BM. How old is your LO? Is she just on breast milk or is she on solids? If she's just on breast milk, she's perfectly normal.

Before 6 weeks breastfed babies should be having 3-4 quarter sized bowel movements a day. After that, it's quite normal for them to go up to 7 days without a bowel movement. However, it should be quite profuse when they do finally go.

Constipation is best described as hard, dry stools rather than the length of time in between them.
    Last edited by cailin; October 17th, 2006 at 09:31 AM. Reason: forgot a word

She's 7 1/2 months old. And is on some solids, though we didn't stat until a month ago and she isn't very interested most days. Prior to the last week she was VERY regular and had at least 2 dirty diapers a day.

Can't overfeed or constipate a BF baby.

Some solids can constipate a baby, even when BF. For us, rice cereal and bananas were big culprits. It won't last forever, just keep a journal of what your LO is eating and how things are "coming out" lol

You'll notice the culprits real soon =)
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Since i started feeding my baby solids, too he seems constipated, like he wants to go but cant, i know its normal for him to go for 7 days without a bm, but he toots a lot, and 'wants to go' but cant, help! what can we do???

Depending on how old your baby is and if on solids you can try baby food with prunes in it, caorrots help too. Not a lot but it helps my DD. ALso giving baby some water might help too. My DD got constipated when I fed her too much bananas. I didn't realize in the small print on the jar it contained bananas so for a few days she was having bananas and I didn't even know. She is fine when she has some but not everyday.

Since i started feeding my baby solids, too he seems constipated, like he wants to go but cant, i know its normal for him to go for 7 days without a bm, but he toots a lot, and 'wants to go' but cant, help! what can we do???
    If you are doing solids, I suggest stopping for awhile and breastfeed a lot. If you are only bfing him, keep it up and do it more often. Eventually it will come out. You can also give a warm bath for constipation. I let my DD sit in one side of the sink for a quite a while, while I wash bottles and pump parts or dishes on the other side. If that doesn't do the trick, you can do a rectal temp and the stimulation will be enough to get things going. I have done this twice and it works. She doesn't mind it, but I use a little lube.