Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: He's so hungry!

Default Re: He's so hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dmrugg15 View Post
    I pump every 2 hours at work and for 10 minutes, or as long as it takes to get 2 let-downs. It's a new pump.

djs.mom - I got 4 oz my first session this morning, and got 2 oz 2 hours later. And I'm thinking he does need more with me - he is definitely not satisfied after eating. However, when not with me I will reduce to 3.5 oz from 4 oz and see how that goes and then reduce to 3 if I can. That would certainly help my pumping worries.
    I usually am done after 10 minutes too, and I have a PISA as well. One thing that i find is that after the first let down, i usually get more milk if i keep in on the first speed (let down). So I actually push the button two- three times after the first cycle.

I'm sorry if i missed this, i tried to read through and don't think i saw: how many wet diapers is he havign a day? That's usually a really good indication of whether he's really getting enough to eat. He could be fussing for many other reasons: it's a prime time to be teething, for example.

I know my baby just liked to have something in his mouth when he was teething.

If you really aren't making enough milk (there aren't enough wet/poopy diapers), i would try fenugreek. i had to take it at the beginning for low supply and it worked very well. I still occasionally have to take it when I'm getting my period because my supply takes a major dip and I pump virtually nothign at work! I have some pointers if you need them.

one other thing to ensure that you're using the least amount of milk possible while you're away is to make sure you feed your LO right when leave and then have DCP not feed him again 2 hours or so before you plan to be home. And I find that my DS stays more satisfied if i give him smaller bottles more frequently than if i give him two big bottles or whatever.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thank you all so, so much! I am feeling much better after getting all of this info. I was able to pump 9 oz. today, and if I go down to 3.5 oz bottles on Thursday, that leaves me slightly shy, but I'll be able to get it tonight or tomorrow.

Another question though - when you say to not have my DCP feed him 2 hours before I plan on being home. What if he's hungry at 1:00 and I won't be able to feed him until 2:15 - do I have her not feed him?

I would be able to drop a bottle both on Thursday & Friday if that were the case.
    Mom to 3 boys and loving it!
    J born 5/22/10, BF for 1 year
    N & L born 4/10/13

Thank you all so, so much! I am feeling much better after getting all of this info. I was able to pump 9 oz. today, and if I go down to 3.5 oz bottles on Thursday, that leaves me slightly shy, but I'll be able to get it tonight or tomorrow.

Another question though - when you say to not have my DCP feed him 2 hours before I plan on being home. What if he's hungry at 1:00 and I won't be able to feed him until 2:15 - do I have her not feed him?

I would be able to drop a bottle both on Thursday & Friday if that were the case.
    well, i always have my LO eat if he's hungry, I just try really hard to have them space his feedings in such a way that i can make sure he's really hungry when i get home, and eats well. I hate it when he eats at 3-330 and i'm home at five, and he's not hungry. I could have pumped again and had more milk, or if it had been timed a little better, milk wouldn't have needed to be pumped, kwim?

That said, I wouldn't want to be the one to try and hold of a hungry infant for an hour, so i don't expect anyone else to do it.

So I'd say if he's hungry at 1 and you're not getting home til 2, don't give him a full bottle. give him 1.5 ounces or so and see if he's satisfied. warm one ounce at a time instead of the whole bottle. nothing's wasted and he's not overfed before you get home.

Also, make sure you stick with the newborn flow nipples. This'll slow him down eating and let his tummy register that he's actually satisfied more than gulping it all down in two minutes.

Thank you so, so much
    N & L born 4/10/13

Thank you so, so much
    no problem mama you're doing great!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    no problem mama you're doing great!!
    Self Doubt is a breastfeeding mother's worst enemy! I think your output GREAT!

Way too lazy for formula

I wish the world was better educated on breastfeeding, then they wouldn't fuel the self-doubt!
    N & L born 4/10/13

I wish the world was better educated on breastfeeding, then they wouldn't fuel the self-doubt!
    Please don't get us started. x1000 and x1 million

Way too lazy for formula

I increased my milk supply by taking Fenugreek 3 times a day, about 10-12 pills a day. I used to pump about 3 oz per session and since I've been taking the Fenugreek, I've been pumping close to 4 oz per session. I work 10 hours a day which means I'm gone from my baby for 11.5 hours a day so I understand how you feel. I pump at 5-5:30 am, 8:30 am, 11:30 am, 2:30 pm and sometimes at 4:30 pm before I go home. I find that manually stimulating and massaging your breasts during pumping really help. I have a hospital grade pump, Medela Symphony pump that I rent from the hospital for $165 every 3 months and it seems to be working for me.

Breastfeeding 5 months and counting........