Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night time question

Default Night time question

My DD is just over 3 months old. She is 16lbs and doing GREAT! She has been EBF since birth. Up until about 3 days ago she was eating at around 8 then 11 then 3 then 7. I say about because I feed her on demand. My question comes in here. She seems to not be waking up for her 3am (ish) feeding. By the time I get up I'm in serious pain and spraying everywhere (which my DH and oldest DD think is hilarious, the spraying!). When she wakes up at 7(ish) she doesn't seem to be starving. Do I wake her up at 3? Do I let her sleep? Do I get up and pump to stop the leaking? HELP!!!???!!!
    ~Kate~

Mama to
    Addi Born 2/22/08 and supplemented for 3 months
    and
    Charlotte (Charlie) born 7/26/10 EBF and going strong!

Wife to my best friend and a wonderful man Mike

My family blog
    That Jakcsy Family

Default Re: Night time question

Let her sleep, and if you can, stay away from the pump. Pumping will just perpetuate the problem by telling your body that the extra milk you're making is needed. If you are truly uncomfortable, try to hand-express the minimum necessary to restore comfort. That will allow your supply to decrease while minimizing discomfort. The fastest way to get rid of the problem is to put up with the engorgement/fullness. If you choose to do that, keep some towels handy to catch the spray. It should diminish soon.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok, Another silly question. Wont it make my supply drop during her "good" feeding times if she drops the one feeding time? Or am I just being paranoid?
    ~Kate~

Mama to
    and

My family blog
    That Jakcsy Family

Your question isn't silly at all.

Your body will adjust, and stopping this feed won't "hurt your good" times. Your body has wonderful ways to adjust, so no it won't damage those other times. Enjoy the rest while you can get it!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Your question isn't silly at all.

Your body will adjust, and stopping this feed won't "hurt your good" times. Your body has wonderful ways to adjust, so no it won't damage those other times. Enjoy the rest while you can get it!

Are you sleeping with her? I think for most babies who aren't cosleeping, 3am is the most common first feed to drop. It's actually the only one my 10mo still wakes for -

if you really have that much milk, I wouldn't bother pumping, for sure. I used to get up and pump in the middle of the night because I was worried about maintaining my supply, but I work full time and NEVER leaked after the first two months.

I have found since I stopped pumping in the middle of the night, it really hasn't changed the amount of milk I have during other parts of the day, I just stopped producing as much at that time.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

If you're not exhausted you can get up and pump to keep a "stash" of breastmilk in the freezer... I feel like you can never have enough of it stored!

We are only Semi Co sleeping. My DH cant sleep with her in the bed. But he is on midnights every other month (his schedule is horrid!) so I sleep with her that month. The other month I sleep in the rocking chair with with ( I know bad mama).

Thanks for the information ladies
    ~Kate~

Mama to
    and

My family blog
    That Jakcsy Family

Have you thought about putting a mattress down on the floor in her room so you could sleep in there instead of the rocking chair? That doesn't seem very restful to me.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you thought about putting a mattress down on the floor in her room so you could sleep in there instead of the rocking chair? That doesn't seem very restful to me.

I actually even just put some blankets down on the floor next to his crib so i can go in and lay down when he gets up at night. Way more restful to me than the glider. And he sleeps more peacefully, too.

I get the horrible schedule mama. my DH is second shift. Stinks.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Maybe even a cheap futon mattress, if buying a real mattress is too much money now? Momma needs her rest too. You need your rest and nutrition to keep making milk.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!