Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 29 1/2 months and still no period..normal?

Default 29 1/2 months and still no period..normal?

My DD is 29 1/2 months old. She nurses at naptime, bedtime, once or twice during the night, and upon awakening. When I work three days a week, I pump during lunchtime, though I get very little milk nowadays (1-2 ounces). I spotted for two days six weeks ago, but I haven't had a period since then. Is this normal?? Should I be concerned about something else going on?
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Default Re: 29 1/2 months and still no period..normal?

No, I'm not taking anything at all. In fact, I had an oversupply until DD was about 15 months old. What would be the benefit of knowing that my prolactin levels are high? Or, more importantly, what are the risks of high prolactin levels?

Pumped for 30 months

are you using birth control?

could you be pg?

I'm not using any form of birth control but, as much as I hate to admit it, we haven't had sex since July and I spotted in August for the first time. I also took a HPT shortly thereafter and it was negative. I have no sex drive , consistent with information I found about high prolactin levels. So I think that is probably the cause of no AF and no sex drive. And, from what I read, it's not going to get better until DD stops nursing (which doesn't seem to be in the near future!). Poor DH!

Pumped for 30 months

maybe it was too early for that test?

Do you ever get a 6 hour stretch where you aren't nursing or pumping? I've read that it takes around 6 hours for prolactin levels to drop low enough to allow estrogen levels to come up enough to get your fertility to come back.

While what you describe is all in the normal range, I think I'd see your doctor or midwife about this. Just to be on the safe side and make sure there's nothing going on that's out of the ordinary.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I didn't read all the responces so sorry if I missed anything you may have added.

I just wanted to say that over a month ago I spotted. Then this last week I had a dip in supply. Today AF showed up. This is the first time since I had my son. DS is only 7 1/2 months so I was sad to have it show up so soon. Now I don't pump so I don't know how big of a dip it was for me. I am just glad I know what it was related to. Hope you can figure things out!
    Married 9/17/2005
    Mother to Seamus born 3/9/2010 7lbs 9oz Still nursing with no end in sight!
    I love , , cloth diapers! with #2! Due 4/5/2012. for a Vbac!

I nursed DS until just before his second B day - and it took about 4 months after that for AF to come back. I did have some basic tests done since I was nursing him on a limited diet, and they call came back ok.

I see in your siggy that you are a vegetarian, and low iron can be a cause for not getting AF, so in your case at least getting your iron checked out might be worth it - I was nursing on an almost vegan diet and it was really hard for me to get enough iron, so we did blood tests every 3-6 months or so to check vitamin D, iron and a few other things.
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

Pretty sure I'm not pregnant, as I haven't gained any weight but have lost weight and no other symptoms. The HPT was 2 weeks after intercourse so it should have been enough time. Guess I could take another one, though...

DD has an 8-hour stretch from nap to bedtime with no nursing. In fact, when she first started going that long, I figured AF would return, and it did briefly as I mentioned earlier. She still nurses about every 4 hours at night, though, and based on a PP's links to kellymom, night nursing increases prolactin more than daytime nursing, so this may be part of the issue.

You know, I should probably be HAPPY that AF hasn't returned full-force. Never liked her much anyway. I need to get a check-up, though, so I may ask them to check EVERYTHING just to be sure.

Pumped for 30 months

Just thought I'd post a quick update on this. I still don't have my period but I ovulated the day after I posted this, so AF isn't too far behind. Go figure. I must've known "somehow." Thanks for everyone's responses!

Pumped for 30 months