Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Weaning??

Default Night Weaning??

How do I do it??? LO(13months) has some nights where it seems like she is attached to me allllllll night and other where she only wakes up once or twice. Should I wait until she sleeps more consistently? We are moving into a larger house soon and she will have her own room. I want to try to night wean her sometime after the first of the year once she is use to our new house and her room(unless she decides to do it herself lol) that would make her around 16 months. What have your experiences been? What did you find was the easiest way?

Also when the baby totally weans is it painful for mom(other than the missing the nursing time). Do you get engorgement when they stop for good???

Thank you ladies you have been a big help along my jouney so far!!
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

Default Re: Night Weaning??

We nightweaned at 22ish months by having DH go in there instead of me. Although she will still nurse if I go in there.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

The weaning process with my first daughter was gradual. But as for night weaning, it really did help to have my husband attend to her at night for a few nights in a row. Once she realized there was nothing to wake up for, she stopped waking up. She was about 16 mos old and finally slept through the night for the first time! Ha. As for the engorgement, I didn't really have any of that. I weaned her so gradually, meaning I started by cutting out one feeding a day for a few days and then another for another few days, until I was only nursing her to sleep at bedtime. I remember having some hard spots but nothing painful. It did take a few weeks for the milk to seem completely gone....it was so sad. I have a 7 mos old now who nurses all night every night. Reading and typing this has been good for me because I need to realize it won't last forever and when it's over I'll be sad. Good luck!

Will she quit on her own if I do nothing??
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

I think she will eventually quit on her own if you do nothing. That is what I would have preferred to do, but I am pregnant and cannot get up multiple times at night with a newborn and a toddler.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rosiesmom View Post
    The weaning process with my first daughter was gradual. But as for night weaning, it really did help to have my husband attend to her at night for a few nights in a row. Once she realized there was nothing to wake up for, she stopped waking up.
    This is exactly what we did. I think she finished night nursing around 12 or 13 mos.
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).