Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strike or something else? plz. help!

Default strike or something else? plz. help!

I was wondering if anyone with an older baby/toddler has experienced this and gotten past it. DD is almost 13 mos. old and has still been nursing 3-4 times a day. Up until yesterday she really seems to enjoy nursing (she signs "milk," when DH is holding her and she sees me sitting in the chair we nurse in before bed, she gets very excited, etc, smiles when I ask her if she wants milk and gets excited). I should note first that she has had a cold since Wednesday and is also working on at least 1 (I think both) of her 2 top molars. DD has all her other teeth but these 2, and she's been more ill than this before and nursing has never been an issue. ?? She nursed yesterday morning, but she refused the breast for the remainder of the day and began screaming when I laid her down on my lap to nurse. From everything I've read, they won't wean this abruptly. I decided to let her wean herself or go until she's 18 mos, so you can probably understand why this has been upsetting for me. WDYT? Any ideas, help, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: strike or something else? plz. help!

I am no expert and am always looking for help when things don't seem to be going right, but it does not sound like weaning. I bet your LO is teething. My DD just cut her one year molars and it has been a rough month. She would scream as well and not eat or nurse at all. She also did not take EBM from her sippy cup. Hang in there! I know she will get back to it. I definitely do not think it is a strike. Just keep offering and know that it is not you or the boob she is rejecting, but her teeth or her cold are bothering her. You are an awesome Mom! I am sure you have tried different nursing positions? I also gave her her lovey to hold onto when she nursed and this helped to comfort her as well? Just ideas?

here is some info about a 'nursing strike' which is what it sounds like you and your LO are going through

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec92p173.html
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

ugh ;( my little guy is only 10 months, but we went through a bit of a nursing strike last week. The only time he really nursed well was when he was sleeping. I was convinced I was one of those rare people whose LO weaned early. He wailed if I got him into our usual nursing position, and would only take a sip or two here and there. I was devastated!!

Then, this weekend, he turned back into velcro baby and wanted nothing but nursing. I am obviously not sure if that's what's going on with you - but if it is, just be patient. i was surprised by how long it went on!!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thanks everyone. I took her to the doctor and it looks like she's got an ear infection, so I'll keep offering until she takes it. Hopefully it will be soon - I hate pumping! Poor baby.

My DD was on a nursing strike about a month ago. She was 14 months at the time. It lasted almost 2 weeks. All I can say is be patient. During that time I followed all the suggestions on kellymom.com for nursing strikes. Lots of skin to skin, co-sleeping and offering the breast a lot. I know right now its so awful but it will get better. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*souledoutgirl View Post
    Thanks everyone. I took her to the doctor and it looks like she's got an ear infection, so I'll keep offering until she takes it. Hopefully it will be soon - I hate pumping! Poor baby.
    That'll do it! Chances are she'll go back to nursing once it stops hurting.

Good luck!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*souledoutgirl View Post
    max had several ear infections as a newborn. i'm sure you've tried both sides -- but another thing that may help is standing your LO up while nursing rather than laying down? i'm just thinking the pressure might be different?

i hope she feels better soon.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Well, we're on day 6 of her nursing strike, and even though I'm trying to be patient and not get discouraged, I'm having a hard time with it. This is SO hard emotionally! I know one of you mentioned the strike lasted 2 weeks, but at what point do I just say, "OK, I guess she's done?" Part of the not knowing is what's driving me crazy. And my family isn't very supportive of my nursing past a year, so that's hard; DH is, however, very supportive. Ugh. This is such a bummer, and I've tried everything I've read about.

awe do you think her ears are fealing beter????
    sometimes it takes one or more courses of anti-botics to help with ears.
    ARe you going back to the doctor for a re-check?