Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: She fell off the chart - I knew it!!!

Default Re: She fell off the chart - I knew it!!!

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. I *think* pedi was alarmed mostly because DD fell off the chart (which actually doesnt seem that alarming after all because of all the reasons you all mentioned). I on the other hand was concerned that she barely gained weight the past 3 months.

One last question : In your experience if a baby is small in infancy does that necessarily mean (s)he'll be small later as an adult? Meaning if it were the case that something's been in the way of her current growth it's also in the way of her later growth/adult stature? If that makes any sense at all...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irismom View Post
    One last question : In your experience if a baby is small in infancy does that necessarily mean (s)he'll be small later as an adult? Meaning if it were the case that something's been in the way of her current growth it's also in the way of her later growth/adult stature? If that makes any sense at all...
    I think it's generally true that consistently small babies eventually become smaller adults, and consistently large babies turn into larger adults. But, as with anything in human development, there are no guarantees- you could get a small baby who turns out to be a big adult, and vice versa.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was ave birth weight, but as a kid I was TINY, always the smallest in my class, extremely low weight as a kid...and around 13 I shot up, now near 5"8. If you knew me as a kid you would have though I would have been tiny, but not so! So I guess there is a lot that goes into what your adult height will be!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

"One last question : In your experience if a baby is small in infancy does that necessarily mean (s)he'll be small later as an adult? Meaning if it were the case that something's been in the way of her current growth it's also in the way of her later growth/adult stature? If that makes any sense at all...[/QUOTE]"

IME sometimes yes, sometimes no - and neither with enough consistency to predict. Your baby is healthy, meeting milestones, happy, nursing often, eating well...maybe she is just small or has just hit a plateau.
    My Mollie only gained a half pound in 6 months - 19.5 in April, 20.1 in October and just started walking today @ 12.5 months (and she is my fastest walker - Lee @ 13mo, Connor @ 14mo). She nurses 4-6x everyday and 8-10x on the weekends and eats EVERYTHING, and she is 50% for height and very slim (3% for weight)...If your baby were mine, I would nurse her OFTEN, as you already are, feed her when you eat, and as long as she thrived, leave her weight alone. She is growing, 50% for height and head, correct? So maybe she is burning her extra calories crawling and getting taller.

Sounds to me like you are doing well with her, she just isn't "fattening up" like the charts say she should. What if she were born 100 years ago and there were no charts - you would just think you had a little pixie on your hands. Don't stress Momma, you're doing fine.
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 18 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 4 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!

Default Re: She fell off the chart

I didn't read all the other responses, but my daughter gained very slowly in her second year. Around 18 months, we switched to offering solids (meals) before nursing. If it was close to meal time and she asked to nurse, I would tell her it was time to eat and she could nurse after the meal. We also tried to offer more calorie dense foods. (not just extra veggies and starch - normal meals that we were eating) I give her 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. She is gaining better now that we changed these things. I think that you might want to consider trying to feed her more solids at this point, before you cut down on the number of feedings, and try offering the meal before nursing. GL!

I wanted to give a response to your question about whether a small baby will grow up to be a small adult. Obviously everyone is different, but as far as whether a condition that causes baby not to gain well will affect later growth, I've been assured by Davis' doctors that his weight will catch up to what would have been his normal growth curve as long as we can maintain proper nutrition. He dropped off the charts due to malabsorption issues but once we figured out what he was missing and were able to provide it in supplement form he immediately started catching up.

So even on the off chance there is a problem, it's not going to affect her long term growth once you figure out what the problem is and how to fix it, kwim?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Do you pump at all? One thing you could do would be to make bottles of double-cream milk- pump 2 bottles and let them settle, then add the cream from one bottle to the second. Yum!

I love this response!! I bet this would put some weight on my Mollie - I never thought of this before. Do you think she would throw rocks at me for giving her "whole milk" from the boob after giving "half and half" from the bottle?
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 18 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 4 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!