Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: She fell off the chart - I knew it!!!

Unhappy She fell off the chart

Here I am again, with the same old topic.

So my mommy's arms scale was right: my baby didn't get any heavier. She was exactly as heavy now at 12.5 months as at 9 months - 16.5lbs.

She did gain in height and head circumference and is in the 50th percentile for those two. But completely off the chart for weight. She was found all healthy and meeting all milestones. She's a very happy and smart LO.

We've been where we are only 1.5 months and I've been trying to find a pro-BF, vaccine-friendly pedi. This one, which we just saw today for the very first time, was vaccine-friendly and I can't say unsupportive of BF. She said her only concern is LO's weight gain here are her suggestions:

1. She thought 8-10 nursing sessions/day as we're still at is way too often, which interferes with her appetite for solids, which are necessary for her weight gain. She said to cut it down to 4-6 feedings/day and offer more solids, esp. starchy, high-calorie ones like yam.

2. She said I should pump and give her in a cup BM fortified with human milk fortifier or rice cereal (!)

3. She said to try adding butter or vegetable oil to her food. When I said LO has dairy sensitivity, she said butter is different so it may be OK and I can try it.

So, yet another person/pedi telling me to feed her MORE solids. Why do some babies never bother with much solids until well into their 2nd year and are STILL gaining well, and NOT mine? I admit I made every effort to make sure she got way more BM than solids up until she was close to 12 months - always nursing her before offering any solids, offering to nurse her as often as I could (8-10 times/day), limiting/not offering foods that are more filling than nutritious, etc. But by now she's eating with us at all 3 meals and has very good appetite and I honestly feel like she's eating enough. Now I feel like I've been starving her, kind of. I guess a diet of which the majority is BM doesn't work for her?? Or do I not have enough milk (which I actually feel is unlikely)? OR could it be my milk is not good enough?

Stop me. I'm even starting to think that's why even though she started crawling and standing at 8 months but is still NOT walking (independently).

I'm just sad. I wish I could talk to a pedi who is not only supportive but also knowledgeable about BF, not just one who is not unsupportive, kwim. Because I don't feel good about following the latter's advice, which means I'm again left to find (and fight) my own way...

I will offer her more starchy foods, though definitely not rice cereal. I don't know if that would help, and I don't know if that would mean less BM intake. The latter would make me , but my baby needs to gain weight doesn't she. She can't keep getting longer with the same weight can she?

Sorry for the (same old) disorganized rant. I badly needed to write here. I'll be thankful for any response.
    Last edited by @llli*irismom; October 31st, 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Default Re: She fell off the chart - I knew it!!!

I'd try working with a registered dietitian. Especially if you are avoiding foods due to sensitivities.

It may take a little work to find a RD who works with breastfeeding & avoiding foods, but if you can find the right person it can be a big help:

- evaluating your LO current diet to see how she's doing nutritionally
    - making recommendations for how to fill any nutritional "holes"

I'm also going to "bump" the thread "40 grams of fat ...". There may be some ideas for you in that thread.

IME having a teeny LO can be very stressful. Trying to figure out why your LO is small and not gaining as much weight as quickly as other LO. My suggestions are to rule out any medical causes, evaluate diet, then try to relax and realize that some LO are "just small". My DS1 is barely "on the charts" but fortunately our pediatrician is happy with how he's doing on *his own* growth curve. And the doc has talked with us length about things like family history. It took me a long time to get to a place where I am okay with my DS1 being "just small".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thank you for responding.

Yes, it IS stressful. And I have been particularly sad, stressed and emotional ever since yesterday's checkup.

What do you mean by "his own growth curve"? Meaning he steadily gained, just slowly at his own pace and below the chart?

Mine started out smaller (6lbs 5oz, as far as I remember pretty much the same as yours - as you posted in my thread for slow-to-gain mamas), dropped even lower (5th percentile) briefly because of suckling problems, then grew quickly until about 5 months (to 50th percentile), slowed down from then till 9 months (gained 1lbs in 3 months) and thus dropped in percentile, and has completely stopped since then (and fell off the chart).

Dairy (and soy) are about the only 2 things I avoid for myself and her. She eats pretty much everything else no problem.

How I wish I could consult with such a pedi as yours. Are you by any chance in NJ , or even PA, NY, DE, MD, etc., since we'd be more than willing to travel??

I will check out the link and thread. Thank you again for responding.

awe soon you will not need the doctor, only for sick visits...

write down everything that she eats and maybe you can figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irismom View Post
    What do you mean by "his own growth curve"? Meaning he steadily gained, just slowly at his own pace and below the chart?
    Yes - this.

DS1 was an average birth weight - 6lbs 6oz at 37w 1day. He regained his birth weight super fast. Then settled into a curve of consistently being "low" on the charts (under 5%) but a nice looking growth curve.

It is also NORMAL for LO weight gain to slow down a lot when they start getting more mobile (crawling / cruising / walking). Even a "chubby" baby often starts to "slim down" at this age.

I would perhaps start offering solids before nursing, skip the advice to add milk fortifier, and also NOT do butter with a dairy sensitivity.

Assuming that nothing is medically wrong, the best thing you can do is continue to keep offering healthy food choices and be ok with having a LO who is "just small".

I really do encourage you to look into a registered dietitian. And I know its hard to do - but try not to let your LO see you get stressed. IME when we got stressed about DS1 eating and weight gain he totally picked up on it and would respond by going on an eating strike and not eating at all.
    Last edited by @llli*lsksam; November 1st, 2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: typos
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Yes - this.

DS1 was an average birth weight - 6lbs 6oz at 37w 1day. He regained his birth weight super fast. Then settled into a curve of consistently being "low" on the charts (under 5%) but a nice looking growth curve.

It is also NORMAL for LO weight gain to slow down a lot when they start getting more mobile (crawling / cruising / walking). Even a "chubby" baby often starts to "slim down" at this age.

I would perhaps start offering solids before nursing, skip the advice to add milk fortifier, and also NOT do butter with a dairy sensitivity.

Assuming that nothing is medically wrong, the best thing you can do is continue to keep offering healthy food choices and be ok with having a LO who is "just small".

I really do encourage you to look into a registered dietitian. And I know its hard to do - but try not to let your LO see you get stressed. IME when we got stressed about DS1 eating and weight gain he totally picked up on it and would respond by going on an eating strike and not eating at all.
    Thank you for "chatting" with me about my LO

The bold part: So you also think I'm nursing her way too much for her age and MORE solids in place of BM will help her gain more weight?

I don't think LO sees my stress just yet - she nurses OK and eats with GREAT appetite almost anything offered. And I don't know about medical reasons how would I know if EVERY doc we've seen has found her perfectly healthy (no test was ever done, though, but it's apparently coz they never saw the need to do any? )

DD has been all over the growth chart. She was born at 9lbs (ish) and seems to be a 5-25% kid for real. I am so lucky in my ped. But we saw one who was not so awesome. She talked about her slipping down the charts and then in the same breath told me to quit night nursing.

DD is chubby and tiny at the same time. She is an avid solids eater and has been since she stole food from my plate at about 6 mo. She was nursing 8 times a day at 12 mo (it is slipping a little now but is still way up there). I say this so you don't think it is the bf that is causing the lack of interest in solids. DS was skinny as all get out (skeletal at one point) and he wasn't interested in solids. He is slim now but fine. He hasn't been below the 50th% since he was about 6 mo, but he was too skinny during that time. I did try and make sure that what he ate was fatty (brain is made of fat not starch - wtf drs) and he still has a taste for bratwurst, but he eats everything now.

If you have reason to be worried (by which I mean - you think there is something wrong) then a RD is a good step. I do not know much about food sensitivity, but it can be outgrown I think. If that is correct, you might want to start working with a knowledgeable health care professional who can guide you through safe reintroduction and timing as dairy is such an easy way of getting healthy fats into an LO
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

OMG totally in teh same exact boat! DD hardly gained form 9=12 months, and at 12 months was 16 lbs 8 oz, and her height was only in the 5-10%, head was 25%. Fast ofward to her now at 19 months...I have her on high calorie and fat diet, she still nurses on demand, not interested at ALL in cows milk, but loves cheese and yogurt. At 18 months she was 18 lbs 8oz, still in the 5-10% for height and same head circ (25%). I have tried it all, and she is still way below on the charts. We met with a gastro casue she has chronic diarreah, but they found nothing wrong. I am meeting with a dietician in a few weeks, hoping for some answers by then.
    OH and DD didnt walk indapendantly until nearly 14 months, but could crawl and cruise.

DD is meeting or exceeding all her milestones. At 17 months she was able to talk using 3 word sentences, now she is able to tell me, "I go pee pee, I go Poo poo, I got boo boo, I no want it, I want it, I got noodles, here you go, I see you, I got you, Where'd Jayden go, Where'd (anyones name) go?, etc...Lay down (to the dogs) go away(to the cats), etc..the list of her sentences can go on and on. She can sing the ABC song, tiwnkle twinkle and itsy bitsy spider, some of the wiggles songs, etc...

So, clearly her cognative isnt being impaired! She can run, jump, climb, etc...

I have to think of thses things to keep me sane casue I am always wondering if there is something wrong or something more that I can be doing.

Hang in there, as long as she is meeting all her milestones, she is fine!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

My lo also did not gain weight between 9 and 12 month check up. But since he was my fourth child I did not think it was abnormal. He was growing, not walking yet, crawling and doing all other milestones. He was also nursing 10 times a day so I knew he was getting enough nutrition.
    Breastmilk is very nutritious, very calorie dense so the more you nurse your baby the healthier she will be. Breastmilk does not interfere with a baby's growth. breastmilk insures her healthy growth. at one year of age food does not replace a nursing , it is in addition to a nursing.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Thanks everyone for this thread, because we have the same problem that Madeline is a slow gainer (she does gain) and is slipping down the charts but exceeding milestones. Our pedi has been glowering over this for a while and thinks i should be stuffing solids.

However, she IS stuffed with solids (carrot purée and fruits) at the crèche and has *lost* weight there, especially since they haven't been giving her a bottle for 4 hours. They rely on me coming at lunch and give her one of the two bottles I give for the other half of the day. I've spoken with the caregiver 3 times about this in a 'let's work together to solve this problem' mode, and also twice with her boss, a public health nurse who is onsite. We just bought a Doidy cup to see if they would give her ebm that way, but no.

We should see an RD. I'm going to ask for a referral.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?