Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new baby and "lipstick" nipple

Default new baby and "lipstick" nipple

We recently gave birth to a healthy, 7 lb. 8 oz. baby boy 9 days ago. No interventions were used (no epi. nor drugs). Birth was a holistic, waterbirth.

Baby Boy is getting enough food, but after a few days I noticed severe pain, cracking and bleeding. New Baby's latch is strong, but I get the lipstick-like wedge after he un-latches.

We called a LC for a home visit. After seeing the condition of my breasts, she suggested we try pumping then the breast again. She also recommended we see an ENT for a possible tongue-tie issue.

We went to the ENT, but there was no tongue-tie issue...we then went to a cranial sacral therapist who indicated his jaw wasn't as lifted as needed. So we did one treatment of CST. I may go back for a second.

Since I've healed enough to tolerate some breast-feeding again, baby still latches incorrectly. I've been reading LLLI's newest book for suggestions, but haven't been able to alter the baby's latch so it doesn't cause pain. I've been trying to breast feed 1-2 times daily along with pumping. I use the cradle hold as the latch is worse with baby-led and football hold.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by @llli*elywhitaker; October 31st, 2010 at 07:09 AM.

Default Re: new baby and "lipstick" nipple

Congrats on the new baby! Sounds like it was a nice birth for you.

I don't have any suggestions for you, because my son did the same thing to my nipple for the first month or so. I also pumped and gave him some bottles while my nipples where cracked and bleeding...but it was a bad cycle, because sucking on the bottle nipple made him suck on my own nipple improperly. The thing that finally fixed our issues was cutting out bottles entirely. There was a day or two of bad latching and some major "ouches" on my part...but then he seemed to get the hang of it.

I have very large breasts, and had a hard time finding a position that worked well for us. The side-lying position turned out to be the best, because he could take a big mouthful of my breast without me feeling like the rest of my boob was going to crush him!

I guess my only suggestion to you is maybe to stop any other types of feeding you may be doing, put LOTS of lanolin on your nipple, and see if that helps. Good luck!!
    Grad student Momma to Felix

have you tried any tongue excercises? Put your finger in LO's mouth and push down on the tongue for a few seconds before latching. this may help train the baby to latch correctly. get as much of the nipple and areola in the baby's mouth as possible. Try the nipple sandwich to see if you can get the latch deeper.

The "breast (or nipple) sandwich" technique involves the gentle compression of breast tissue to provide the appropriate filling of the infant's mouth with breast tissue to elicit the sucking reflex. This technique has been likened to an adult who is trying to take a bite out of a large sandwich or hamburger on a bun; the height of the sandwich is too big for the mouth, so the sandwich is compressed to help it fit into the mouth.

•Compression should not cause the mother pain.
    •The mother's fingers and thumb should be well behind the milk sinuses where the infant's jaws and lips will be.
    •The mother may need to maintain support of the "sandwich" through out the feeding until the infant learns how to achieve this on his own.
    •The shape of the "sandwich" needs to match the position of the infant's mouth.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

with the PPs. Repeated visits to the LC, using the side-lying position, and the nipple sandwich technique were what helped me with my first, and helped prevent a bad experience with my second. Sometimes what helps the most, though, is time: as the baby grows and his mouth grows, he can achieve a deeper latch with much less effort.

Tips on healing and coping w/ cracks:
    - Use a combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin ointment to combat inflammation/infection (use pea-sized amount, mixed and applied w/ clean finger)
    - moist healing- lanolin ointment, hydrogel pads (like Soothies), and high humidity in the house (esp. important during winter and in dry climates!)
    - hydration: before nursing/pumping, hydrate the scabs by immersing nipple in shot glass of warm water for 30-60 seconds. Dry scabs tear open more painfully than moist ones.
    - reduce chaffing my going topless/braless as much as possible
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks everyone. I went to my pediatrician yesterday...she recommended a nipple shield, which I had already tried. Baby's suck is so strong, he tends to "inhale" the shield. The doc. indicated that toungue exercises wouldn't work and recommended water and a pacifier to satisfy the baby's urge to suck.

I'm at a loss here...I've tried the breast sandwich for a while now with no luck and am going to next try chiropractic treatments. I try to continue to have him practice at the breast, but he ends up re-opening the wounds he gave me during week one and now my nipples have started to turn black and blue in addition to the cracking.

Any other ideas? I'm seriously considering exclusive breast-pumping or supplementing the breast-pumping with formula.

Try seeing an IBCLC. Stick with it Mama! Its worth it! Sometimes it takes a little bit to find out what the real problem is and several LC's and Dr's to find it but you will. And I totally disagree with your doc about the water. A young baby has no need for water. Water has nothing in it. No nutrients! That's filling a hungry baby up with "nothing" Doesn't make sense does it? Breastmilk has all the water your baby needs plus everything else he needs. Be persistant. Find a local LLL Leader and maybe she will be able to point you in the right direction in your area. Also, infant chiropractics is AWESOME!!! It helped us tremendously with reoccuring ear infections. C1 was out of alignment in LO from being breech for so long. he didn't turn until 32-34 weeks. Stubborn little guy! A few visits to the chiro and no more ear infections plus he started napping better and less spitting up.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

The doc. indicated that toungue exercises wouldn't work and recommended water and a pacifier to satisfy the baby's urge to suck.
    I think this is bad advice. One problem you can run into when baby has a shallow latch is slow milk transfer. If the baby transfers milk slowly, spacing out the feedings using a paci is a terrible idea, because that reduces total milk intake, which reduces supply- before you know it, you're in a situation where you have to supplement with formula.

I would NEVER give water to a young breastfed baby. Too easy to screw up their electrolyte balance and make them sick. (It's called water intoxication or hyponatremia.)

I'm at a loss here...I've tried the breast sandwich for a while now with no luck and am going to next try chiropractic treatments. I try to continue to have him practice at the breast, but he ends up re-opening the wounds he gave me during week one and now my nipples have started to turn black and blue in addition to the cracking.

Any other ideas? I'm seriously considering exclusive breast-pumping or supplementing the breast-pumping with formula.
    Ow ow ow. I have BTDT and it is awful. A zillion times worse than natural childbirth, on a par with breaking bones.

If you choose to exclusively pump, there are challenges that come with that (it's all the work of formula-feeding and breastfeeding combined, plus it's harder to maintain supply, etc.), but I can totally understand why a mom might choose it. I almost did. If you decide to try it, I strongly encourage you to get a really good pump (hospital-grade rental), and to keep the baby on the breast for at least one or two nursing sessions per day. As long as your baby will still latch and nurse, you have the option to go back to breastfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"