Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Pumping

Default Night Pumping

My 10 week old is starting to sleep through the night, but I still get up to pump because my breasts get very full. How do I ween my breast off of the night pumping so that I may get more rest?

Default Re: Night Pumping

Ideally you should not pump during the night but if your breasts get too full then you'll have to, in order to avoid mastitis. The best way to wean from night pumping is to pump less and less every time. This way your body will get the message that milk is not needed at that time and produce less. What you are doing now, is telling your body that your baby still breastfeeds at night and it produces milk as required. Try pumping less, just enough to go back to sleep comfortably, you don't have to empty the breast. Good luck.

Default Re: Night Pumping

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mariabf View Post
    Ideally you should not pump during the night but if your breasts get too full then you'll have to, in order to avoid mastitis
    Actually, many women can skip the pumping altogether, put up with the engorgement, and still not get mastitis. Engorgement is not a guarantee that you'll get mastitis, it just increases your risk.

The best way to wean from night pumping is to pump less and less every time. This way your body will get the message that milk is not needed at that time and produce less. What you are doing now, is telling your body that your baby still breastfeeds at night and it produces milk as required. Try pumping less, just enough to go back to sleep comfortably, you don't have to empty the breast. Good luck.
    This is exactly right. Try to pump/express the minimum each time, and the fullness/engorgement should gradually subside.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"