Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More on teeth - biting hard enough to draw blood!

Default More on teeth - biting hard enough to draw blood!

My 7 mo has 3 teeth. And in the last few days he started biting, biting hard enough to draw blood. It freaking hurts like hell....
    I tried to push his face into the boob, but it doesn't seem to help. Any advice on getting him to stop - and bonus points for getting my poor nipples to heal faster....
    Its so bad that I honestly don't want to put my boob in his mouth because I just don't know when he will bite down...
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: More on teeth - biting hard enough to draw blood!

teething is tough!

Can you tell when baby wants to nurse or instead is trying to use you for "teething"? Have you tried offering other things like a cold washcloth or a cold teething toy?

Instead of squishing baby into your breast, perhaps try the opposite approach of breaking the latch, putting baby on the floor and saying something like "stop! no biting! that hurts mommy"?

My babies have HATED a nursing session being interrupted by being put down on the floor.

For healing - try rubbing some breastmilk onto the wounds and letting them air dry. Lanolin can be very helpful to soothe wounded nipples and help them heal.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Instead of squishing baby into your breast, perhaps try the opposite approach of breaking the latch, putting baby on the floor and saying something like "stop! no biting! that hurts mommy"?

The pushing them into the boob thing has never helped me any. But stopping nursing. That has worked for me. I say "no biting" really sternly then "ow, no boop when you bite" and put her down on the floor. I never put her down for long but I am really consistent about it. She very rarely bites now and never when she is actually hungry
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

OK, he goes on the floor now!
    My poor boob
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

I feel your pain! DD did this to me tonight...I took her off and she got a little tap on the face she only cried for a second then was laughing...When I say ow she laughs...that can't be good lol.
    Proud Air Force wife and mommy to Lorelai (Feb 2010).

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

*Natural Birth
    *SAHM