Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beggar's night then....

Default Beggar's night then....

We get home and LO starts vomiting. Every 25-30 minutes for the last two hours. UGH!!! My poor baby. He won't nurse now. He did sip some water and I hate myself for this but I gave him some cola in hopes that it would settle his stomach. He took a few sips and is sleeping soundly for now. I'm hoping he sleeps for a little bit and stops vomiting. No diahrea or fever or anything else just vomiting and 5-10 minutes before he vomits he cries a cry of pain. Stomach bug??? I called the dr on call twice and after 2 hours now haven't gotten a call back. I'm so upset with them. Its not our doctor but an after hours service. I will be letting our doctor know about the lack of urgency from the service though! its just a recording and it pages the doctor on call which is a bunch of private family doctors that go in on the on call service together. DH is at work until 5-6 am and he is the only officer on duty so he can't leave which makes me really mad. I have a severe phobia of vomit. Vomiting, someone else vomiting, seeing or smelling it, everything. I am managing tho because he's my little guy. Somehow the mothering instincts overpower everything else. I'm still shaking and nerves are going crazy tho. I hope it isn't a stomach bug kinda because then all 5 of us will probably end up with it. ugh...needed to vent a little. So...

Think it is a virus? What do I do if he keeps refusing to nurse? I guess pump and keep offering water right? My older boys always continued to nurse through any tummy bugs. LO signed milk and when I lifted my shirt he cried and shook his head no. it broke my heart because I know he wants to nurse really bad but just wont because of his tummy. SO SO SO SAD!!!
    Last edited by @llli*3boysmomma; October 30th, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Default Re: Beggar's night then....

Poor little man! I would probably go for a little diluted Ginger ale too if he won't nurse. I hope he sleeps well and it passes quickly! s

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Definitely sounds like a tummy bug. Hang on to your wits mama, the diarrhea may be coming soon. Joey had one that bad(rotavirus) and she puked almost 25x in one night

Mild Dehydration will include:

•increased thirst
    •a dry mouth and tongue
    •decreased urine output
    •3 to 9 percent weight loss
    •normal to increased heart rate and pulses, normal to fast breathing, and cool extremities
    •capillary refill greater than 2 seconds
    •recoil on skin turgor test in less than 2 seconds
    •slightly sunken eyes (and/or fontanel in a baby)
    Severe Dehydration may include:

•poor drinking or may be unable to drink
    •a parched mouth and tongue
    •minimal or no urine output
    •greater than 9 percent weight loss
    •increased heart rate, weak pulses, deep breathing, and cool, mottled extremities
    •capillary refill that is very prolonged or minimal
    •recoil on skin turgor test in more than 2 seconds
    •deeply sunken eyes (and/or fontanel in a baby)
    Don't feel bad about the cola. When mine are THAT sick...ANYTHING that I can get them to drink is better than nothing.

ETA: If you see any signs of severe dehydration...it might be time to head to the ER for IV fluids.
    Last edited by @llli*Leslie; October 30th, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

We are up to 9 pukes in 3 1/2 hours. He is soo sleepy that he is sleeping between but i'm affraid to go to sleep because i will have more of a mess to clean if I don't catch him before he vomits. So far I've only had to mop the hallway and bathroom from the first time and I've been ready with a pail for the other times. I know this is really gross but i just need to talk. DH is extremely busy at work considering all the halloween parties so he can't talk and can't help. I'm hoping he gets to come home soon. Last i heard on the radio he has a prisoner in his car being transported which means paperwork like crazy...he probably won't make it home until 6 or 7 am. The on call doctor still hasn't called me back which makes me REALLY MAD. I hoped they would call in some suppositories to maybe stop the vomiting so we can all get some sleep.
    Michelle

FOUR hours later the doctor finally calls back and says NOTHING. Why did I even bother? He said to take him to the ER. OK!? Let me know how you suspect that I will pack three kids in the car while one is puking every 15-30 minutes and screaming crying intermittantly as well to go sit at the ER for the next 5 hours while he throws up all over me with no access to a shower or sink or any extra clothes. AND the fact that the ER is 40 minutes away with a detour because of highway construction doesn't help either. IF...I repeat IF he starts showing signs of dehydration I will take him otherwise I don't see the need in them poking him with an IV while he already doesn't feel good and sitting there for 5-6 hours to do the same thing the on call dr could have done...give him an antivomiting suppository so he can rest for a minute and get some sleep. IF he is still sick tomorrow and hasn't gotten dehydrated before then I will take him to Urgent Care. He has nursed a few times but he is vomiting out everything that he takes in. I do have to give this doctor some props though...He complimented me for nursing him at 16 months and said breastmilk is the best thing for him but also said to try to give him sips of water before nursing to see if he holds it down. Dr's still don't understand that breastmilk IS a clear fluid medically speaking and is much better for rehydrating than water, pedialyte or gatorade. I'm block feeding him on the same side so he doesn't get my crazy OALD on the side that is fuller (which I'm going to have to pump soon) UGH...I've never had an LO vomit this much in this short amount of time before and he's my third.

again just need to vent and at 3 am not many people to vent to so I'm posting to keep my sanity.
    Michelle

hope you were able to get some sleep! and no more throwing up in the morning!

he is doing a little better but still throwing up just not as much. he is nursing and drinking sips of water so seems well hydrated. i think the diahrea is starting. he had a loose dirty but not watery. i got about 4 hours of sleep so that was good!
    Michelle

I know this is sooooooo tough, but from a microbial standpoint...his little immune system is working really hard to clear out that virus. It sounds like he's on the mend...at least slowing down with the puking some. So that's a good sign. Hang in there and we're here if you need to talk/vent
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

thanks all! I was in such a bad place last night. all I could think about was stop the puking and the screaming. he was miserable! he is doing better today and holding down the last 2 nursings and some water. he took one small bite of a cracker and that too has stayed down so far. he has no appetite so i'm not pushing it. i offered him a cracker since he hadn't vomited in several hours. i tried some ginger ale and he took one little sip, made a horrible face and poured the tiny bit that i had put in a cup for him out on the floor. LOL Guess he didn't like that. when he was refusing to nurse i was worried. that's always scary when you know you have to keep them hydrated but can't get them to take anything. he has some diarhea but since very little has stayed down it is just small amounts. not wetting diapers much either but his mouth is still wet and he is producing tears. skin is plump and color is good. I'm keeping a good eye out for signs of dehydration. I think he is at the tail end now. at least the vomiting has spaced out some.

ugh...when your lo is vomiting every 15-30 minutes and you have a severe vomit phobia your nerves and anxiety can get the best of you.
    Michelle

I am playing catch-up! I'm soooo sorry your LO wasn't feeling well, but very glad he's doing better! I am JUST like you when it comes to vomit... I have a severe phobia and it makes me super anxious... and like you I just like to sit with my LO's when they're puking and be ready with the pail, because I can't stomach cleaning up the mess!! I am so thankful my DH has a stronger stomach than I do and he's really good about helping with the pukes. Praying nobody else comes down with it!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.