Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teeth!

Default Teeth!

My 6mos old is cutting his first tooth...and he's BITING! He is chewing at times and also drags his almost tooth while nursing. He has a bad latch sometimes because of his tongue-tie so I think that's where the dragging of the gums comes in but it's the biting that I have a real issue with! I yell and take him off and it just makes him smile. I tried flicking his cheek a little when he's biting but he just looks at me like "why did you do that!". Any suggestions on how to get him to stop biting? So far I am just ending the nursing sessions and coming back 5min later in hopes that he stops.

Default Re: Teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tyjaxmama View Post
    So far I am just ending the nursing sessions and coming back 5min later in hopes that he stops.
    Has that helped?

Is there any particular point during the nursing session when he usually does it? I ask because when a baby is actively nursing his tongue is over his bottom gum and he can't bite. So often it's at the end of the feeding when baby isn't hungry anymore that he might start playing around with the nipple and biting. And if that's the case, then ending the feeding is a good solution. If you need to, you can even watch to see when he seems not to be actively sucking and swallowing anymore and end the feeding before he gets a chance to bite.

The bad news is that pretty much all babies do this. The good news is that they don't keep doing it. It will pass!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I've had a similar experience recently as my dd is 7 1/2 months old and has cut her two bottom front teeth. Leading up to the teeth actually erupting out of the gums I could have sworn that her nursing sessions had become a bit more aggressive? Not sure if that's the word I would use, but the sucking seemed to be more intense anyway.

Now that the teeth have actually come through she has bitten me a couple of times, but it's like Karen said, it's usually at the end of a session when she's just playing about and has moved her tongue out of the way and CHOMP! She get's told "no" and our little session comes to an abrupt end. Not sure if she truly gets the message, but she hasn't done it for a little while now.

I think what you're doing is the right way to handle it, and hopefully it will get better!
    I'm Terri, a Canadian living in England.

Married my soul mate in September, 2008 and share the same wedding anniversary as my parents and grandparents.

Mommy to S born 19/03/2010 and to Z 01/11/2011

We always, and we love as much as possible.

"When you're moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star" - Stevie Wonder, Jammin'

Can you tell if baby wants to use you as a teether or actively nurse?

If he's trying to use you as a teether, maybe try some teething toys or a cold washcloth?

I had to really pay attention and stop a nursing session as soon as baby stopped actively nursing and started to "play". I also found that with each set of new teeth I really had to focus on leaning a NEW "good latch" that worked with all the new teeth in baby's mouth.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I had to really pay attention and stop a nursing session as soon as baby stopped actively nursing and started to "play".
    I am totally fine with non-nutrative sucking, but I am not OK with teething on me. So I have different rules then.

Some babies like different textures when they are teething. Some like cold, some frozen, some soft, some hard. It is worth experimenting.

mama
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I've noticed that he's doing it mostly before my milk comes down and towards the end of the session. Maybe he is using it as a teether when he has less milk. At first he was randomly doing it but now it seems to be mostly the end when the milk is running out. Ending it seems to be the best option and taking him off when he bites and saying "no bite" appears to be teaching him that he loses his food if he does that! My concern now is that he is missing out on the hindmilk? When I pump I see that I have very little compared to the foremilk portion and I am worried he isn't getting to that. I have always battled an over-supply. We are only on day 3 of his new nursing technique so maybe he will end the biting all together if I keep taking him off and telling him "no bite"...eventually.

When baby is actively nursing, their tongue covers lower teeth and protects your nipples. Which explains why you may be getting some "biting" before letdown and towards the end of a nursing session.

Personally - I'd address the biting and stop that habit / pattern and not worry so much about the hindmilk for now. Most babies learn pretty quickly to stop biting when biting = removal from the breast.

Also - pumping is NEVER a good way to measure how much milk and what kinds of milk you are producing (how much fore vs hind milk).
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks! His latch is bad too at times because he is tongue tied which is why I may feel some more teeth when he is actively nursing. The actual biting though is no accident! Today was better!!

My 8 1/2 DD only bites at night when she's nursed her fill and is trying to stay away...tonight she bit me so hard she drew blood! She's only ever gone to sleep while nursing...she refuses a binky and fights sleep like it's a disease...is there something I can try so I don't get bit this hard again?
    Before it was just a little nip but tonight it was hard! And she only has her 2 bottom teeth!
    She is not ready to wean and neither am I but oh my gosh this hurts!
    Proud Air Force wife and mommy to Lorelai (Feb 2010).

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

*Natural Birth
    *SAHM

A stern no and taking DD away from the boob works pretty quickly to stop the biting usually. You don't need to keep the baby away for long usually. sorry you are hurting
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.