Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't nurse due to teething

Default Won't nurse due to teething

My almost 11 month old is cutting his fifth tooth. Normally through this he is fine with nursing, even nurses more typically. This afternoon he started biting down on me and pulling away. I've tried several times since then and he wants to nurse but bitesand then pulls away. I gave him advil and tried a cold teething ring,none of which has helped. I'm at a loss. He did take some pumped milk in a cup today but i don't want that to be the new normal. Any suggestions or encouragement?

Default Re: Won't nurse due to teething

teething is tough on baby AND mama

All I can say is lots and lots of patience. If he's trying to use you as a teether, keep trying alternatives. Neither of my babies liked actual teethers but would find a favorite toy to chew on.

For breastfeeding - with each set of new teeth both mama and baby need to experiment to figure out a new latch that will work. I got lazy and would let baby latch any way he wanted to, but with teething really focused on a good latch like I did when he was a newborn.

If baby is biting on purpose - my approach is to stop bf immediately, put baby on the floor, and use a stern voice to say "stop! no biting! that hurts mommy". Then try again.

Hang in there!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Will he still nurse at night/when he is sleepy? For a lot of babies that age they are getting enough solids that with night nursing you don't need to worry about nursing during the day. water in a sippy cup (especially if it it is very cold can help too.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thanks for the replies. He seems to be back to normal for now.