Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wish to breastfeed again

Default Wish to breastfeed again

Hello, I have a 7 month old and I have been breastfeeding since he was born in April. His weight gain has been exceptional. I have also been pumping and I introduced solids, too. In September, due to extremely high workload, I was pumping and hadn't breastfed at all for nearly a month. Feeling confident that he can switch from breast to bottle like he used to, I pumped his daily supply in three pumping sessions. When I had more time at home I tried to breastfeed him and he lached twice within 2 hours. The next morning though he didn't want to breastfeed and he hasn't since the beginning of October. I have been expressing enough milk to cover his needs but I wish to breastfeed again. He will touch my breast but he won't latch and if I push him he cries so I don't.
    What is the best way to approach this? I work 6 days a week so my time is limited, too. Is there any chance that he will latch when older? Please help and apologies for the long post and my English as it is not my native language.

Default Re: Wish to breastfeed again

Some women in your position have found that their baby is most likely to just unconsciously latch on while they are almost-asleep or sleeping. Try taking your baby to bed with you for a couple of nights and offering the breast. Once he's had a few times successfully latching on in his sleep, he'll be more likely to accept the breast during the day.

Keep us posted.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I will certainly do that, thanks a lot. He is fast asleep now so I will give it a try. But he doesn't go into deep sleep during the day. He sleeps better at night. In fact, even if you want to, you can't wake him up during the night. Let's see if we can get him to breastfeed again. Any other suggestions? Anyone gone through the same?

This link covers all the ways I know of to cope with nursing strikes: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

You're not the only one who has experienced this. My Mom had to wean my sister for medical reasons, and was able to go back to nursing after 3 months off. There are no guarantees, though. Some babies will go back, some won't, and you can't predict which way things will go.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I just tried to breastfeed him asleep as Joe's mum suggested but he wouldn't have it! He had his mouth sealed and he would open it only for the pacifier. He didn't wake up. I am hoping to try again next time he sleeps. Fortunately he takes a few naps during the day and he will sleep through the night.
    Mommal thanks a lot. I have read your story in another post. How old was your sister when your mum managed to get her to latch on again? Was she older than 6 months? My baby has been on and off since he was 5 months old with no difficulty what so ever but he won't do it now.
    Last edited by @llli*mariabf; October 31st, 2010 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mariabf View Post
    Mommal thanks a lot. I have read your story in another post. How old was your sister when your mum managed to get her to latch on again? Was she older than 6 months?.
    She was 6 months more or less exactly.

FWIW, I have known several people whose babies went on hard-core nursing strikes and who had to pump until their babies turned 1. Not ideal, not fun... But it offers all the health benefits nonetheless.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The fact that he does open up for a paci seems encouraging. I would keep trying the breast at night.

I am jealous that your LO sleeps so deeply at night, though! My baby has never slept for more than five hours straight in his life! But it might make it harder to do "dreamfeeding." I would try under a variety of different circumstances - when he's hungry, when he's not hungry, when he wants a paci, etc. It can be disheartening to try and have it not succeed, but remember, if he won't take the breast, you are no worse off than you were before, so I think it's worth it to keep trying.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks girls. I will try again tonight although my husband is very reluctant when it comes to co-sleeping. I hope to convince him.

He is sleeping for the night since 9pm and he will be sleeping till the morning. He is in his crib but when I go to bed I will take him with me. I tried to bf him while sleeping just now but didn't make it. He seals his mouth and won't open it. He is not used to being fed while sleeping. Shall I offer a bottle first and then switch to the breast?