Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water questions

Default Water questions

Anyone STILL has not introduced water at 1 year??

Both Dr. Jay Gordon and Dr. Jack Newman said water is not necessary in the first year, so I didn't hurry to introduce it. Now that she's (2 weeks) past one year I'm thinking it may be time. It's just that I still don't see the real NEED to . I stay home with DD and offer the breast very frequently and whenever I think she may be thirsty.

I know many moms offer water with solid meals but since DH and I don't drink anything with meals ourselves, I don't feel it natural for DD alone to have a cup of liquid to drink with her meals (she always eats with us, BLS way).

The only other reason for introducing water now is to help DD practice using a cup. But there's no real rush in that either, isn't it. My mom says she doesn't let me use cups until probably 2 or older and I grew up knowing how to use a cup.

Anyone knows if there's any harm in water still NOT being a part of a 1-year-old diet?

Default Re: Water questions

I don't think there's any harm in not introducing water as long as baby stays hydrated on hot days, etc.

All I would say is, around 18 months, Joe started getting really interested in using "real" cups. So I give him a sip of water in a small cup, and he loves it. He never took to sippy cups, but he loves to imitate us with the more grown-up (still child-sized) version. (He does make a mess sometimes, but also, he drinks well sometimes!)

Also, I guess I do think it's good for kids to get a "taste" for water, because it's good to enjoy drinking something nonsweet? But I dunno if it matters WHEN that happens.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I don't think there's any harm in not introducing water as long as baby stays hydrated on hot days, etc.

All I would say is, around 18 months, Joe started getting really interested in using "real" cups. So I give him a sip of water in a small cup, and he loves it. He never took to sippy cups, but he loves to imitate us with the more grown-up (still child-sized) version. (He does make a mess sometimes, but also, he drinks well sometimes!)

Also, I guess I do think it's good for kids to get a "taste" for water, because it's good to enjoy drinking something nonsweet? But I dunno if it matters WHEN that happens.
    I of course do want to introduce water, I just don't know when (and actually how also ) What I was trying to say in my OP is that *right now* I still don't see the real need, kwim?

So Joe started to drink water at around 18 months (btw, doesn't that mean just now? )? Your introduction of water to him then sounds very natural to me - I'd like that for DD, too, meaning introducing when she shows a real interest in drinking out of a cup/a real need for another liquid other than BM. Did you try to introduce water and the cup earlier than that, or that was when it all started?

Well, he sometimes drank a sip of my water (from a real cup) or from a sippy (which he mostly uses to sprinkle water all over the house), starting at like nine months. But I just started giving him a little cup of water in the past few weeks. The practice drinking from my cup seems to have taught how to drink from a real cup in theory, though he is definitely still working out some details! I say, go with your gut! If your baby is begging to try from your glass, try giving her a little sip? Otherwise, don't sweat it?

ETA: Left to his own devices, Joe loves to drink water straight from the dog's water bowl. Or the faucet in the tub, which I sometimes turn down to a trickle for his enjoyment.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

We did water in a sippy starting at around 5 months with both. By 8 months my BF baby could drink from a straw sippy. He enjoyed it!

At about 14 months I left a sippy cup down all the time so he could have water when he needed it.

You know I also live in the South where it is very hot, so it is necessary and helpful to have the babes drink from sippy cups.

I think at 1 you should introduce it. It's fun for them and a milestone~
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I think water with meals IS important. You should probably do it too. Not only does it help with digestion but also THIRST can mask itself as hunger. So often when people are thirsty, they eat more. And vice versa. People who drink enough water tend to eat less food.

But as far as introduction I think being able to carry a cup around at any point is a good idea.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for the responses mamas.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I think water with meals IS important. You should probably do it too. Not only does it help with digestion but also THIRST can mask itself as hunger. So often when people are thirsty, they eat more. And vice versa. People who drink enough water tend to eat less food.

But as far as introduction I think being able to carry a cup around at any point is a good idea.
    I think both DD and I (esp. me) may need to eat MORE not less .

I drink LOTS of water throughout the day and night just not with meals. DH and I (as most people in my culture) grew up drinking water AFTER meals. Based on that I could let DD drink water after (solid) meals, too, but again I feel like well why should I do that when I'm right there and can offer to nurse her instead

I agree with Shelly. I would introduce water sooner rather than later.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

I think you might want to at least offer it, might not drink more than a few sips but at some point they're drinking less milk from you and still need to stay hydrated.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Your child has NEVER drank water? Really? Lilah drinks water in the bathtub at every bath. And has since she's been able to sit up on her own in the tub and play with cups.

She has drank from a regular cup since she was about 10 months old and won't spill it unless she wants to.

I guess I don't understand what the problem is with introducing water at a year?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months