Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaving for 16 hours

Default Re: Leaving for 16 hours

So I wanted to give you all the update on how things went. The girls did great! My parents did a great job.

I ended up having 746ml (almost 25oz) for them. I nursed for the last time at 9:30am and got home to nurse her at 12:30am. So I was away for 15 hours total. DD2 ended up taking 580ml (a little over 19oz) with 166ml (5.5oz) left to spare!!

She latched right on and clung to my shirt. I think she missed me as much as I missed her!

Thanks for the advice and reassurances ladies.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Glad it worked out for you all!!

Hang on to that 5.5 oz...that's enough for you to leave baby with DH for part of a day and go have your hair done or something before the holidays

ETA: here's something interesting I read...a BF baby, even an older one, when fed via a bottle, will only take about 4 oz per feeding, max. It's the FF babies who will demand more at each feeding as they get older and might take like 6-8 oz per feeding in their second half of their first year. I think I read -- but I could be wrong, I don't feel so hot today -- that that's because breastmilk is more concentrated as a baby gets older so they can just keep taking in the same amount but they get more nutrition with each feeding. Cool huh? But a good reason to never leave a super big bottle for your BF baby. Just leave smaller amounts. The caretaker can always add more, kwim.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; October 31st, 2010 at 10:22 AM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well - part of one of the bags leaked out (I found it this morning when I went to the freezer to see how much was used).

But, I kept the milk that I pumped while at the wedding yesterday in a cooler bag with an ice pack. So I have more than replaced what leaked out and then some. I'm hoping that this is the beginning of my stash.

That is interesting about the concentration increasing so that the quantities don't have to. It does make sense though. If the quantity kept increasing, engorgement would be MORE of an issue as baby grows rather than less. Our bodies are AMAZING!!!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I'm glad it worked out!

The rule of thumb that I've read is 1-1.5 oz/hour. We leave our 12.5 week old DD just about 1 oz/hour when at daycare, but she still nurses 4-5 times a day with me and I think sometimes she just wants to wait until I pick her up so that she can nurse. She has an extra bottle as a snack (bringing it to 1.4 oz/hour if she took that bottle) just in case.
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010