Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: won't take a bottle or sippy

Default won't take a bottle or sippy

I dont' want to wean now but I do have a question about for in the future...my son is 8 months but won't take a bottle or a sippy....I am wondering how weaning would go if he won't take either...what other options would there be? I wouldn't mind having someone watch him while I went to a two hour movie with my husband but I won't do that until I know he'll take something while I am gone...so any suggestions?
    SAHM to:

Jamey Sweetpea 5years old
    Michael Davy 2 years old
    Angel baby-09/11
    And Pregnant with #3! EDD OCT 12th

Married my high school sweetheart 09/29/07

Default Re: won't take a bottle or sippy

Has anyone else tried to get your LO to take a bottle? If you aren't around it might be easier.
    I tried for months to get my little guy to take a sippy cup to prepare him for day care, and he never would. Until his first day of day care, I only sent him for 4 hours, and he came home chugging on a sippy cup! They really do associate different things to different people, so maybe try leaving your LO with grandma for an hour or two with a bottle and see how it goes.

My LO went strait to a cup..... if she saw me drinking out of one she had to get to it so I got her some little cups of her own, I only put about an ounce of water in it at a time so if it spills it doesn't make a mess. For spill reasons I also got her a straw sippy cup she preferred it over regular sippy cups (and her grandma had one just like it)
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

try an open cup or a sports cap bottle as you don't have to suck these to get liquid. chances are the sports cap will work best at night time as it's easier to get into a sleepy persons mouth (just keep a finger over the hole so they don't get splashed as you put it in). best to get them used to these during the day and maybe road test it at night while you're there. is there somewhere you could go out and be able to get home fast if it all went wrong? the first time we went out we had a meal across the road from our house. i had to go home halfway through but it was still lovely to leave the house minus small person. good luck!
    Art student and Mummy to Luca born 12th June 09 and Elidi 18th of May 11
    How can time go quite so fast

Thanks all! I haven't tried leaving him with anyone other than my husband and the few times that I have he hasn't had anything to drink...I was even gone longer than usual once and he slept for most of it but when he woke up he didn't want to eat etc. until I walked in the room then he was bawling and clawing at my shirt...it makes me nervous though...will a baby hold out for mom? If so for how long?
    I might try to leave him with my mother in law but she refuses to feed him with BM so it would have to be formula and as he hasn't had that I'm not sure how he will take to it....I guess I just have to give it a go and not stray too far.
    Thanks again!
    SAHM to:

Jamey Sweetpea 5years old
    Michael Davy 2 years old
    Angel baby-09/11
    And Pregnant with #3! EDD OCT 12th

Married my high school sweetheart 09/29/07

Have you tried a straw cup? My ds learned to drink out of a straw cup before a sippy.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Why would your MIL refuse to feed your LO breastmilk? I would never leave my child with someone who refused to feed him what she/he is used to.

My 7 mo can go 2-3 hours without nursing. My mom takes her (while I teach preschool 2 days a week) and while she does take a sippy, she would also drink breastmilk from a cup. She also loves bananas, so I know she's not starving.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes