Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Difficulty Pumping (letdown) After long hiatus -

Unhappy Difficulty Pumping (letdown) After long hiatus -

I started my LO on solids last month, so I started pumping so I could use the breastmilk to mix in with his baby cereals. I hadn't pumped for about 4 months prior to that-- just nursed exclusively-- so, when I tried to pump again I coudln't get a letdown. Didn't matter if my breasts were full. I had to resort to trying to stimulate a letdown manually by tugging/pinching my nipples. It only worked half the time though, and sometimes I would find myself sitting there for almost 30 mins trying to get a letdown before I could actually pump out a substantial amount. The only other way I could get a letdown is if I nursed on one side and pumped the other; however it was a huge hassle b/c my baby would keep looking at the pump and not nurse, or get fussy/upset.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to get a letdown with a pump, or train my body to get used to the pump again? I used to be able to pump the supply I needed for a feeding (or more) pretty easily in less than 10 mins.

Thanks.

Default Re: Difficulty Pumping (letdown) After long hiatus -

Your body and breasts and brain sometimes are not on the same page when it comes to using a breastpump. you might get a successful pumping session if you try to pump first thing in the morning.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Default Re: Difficulty Pumping (letdown) After long hiatus -

I used breast compressions, massage, and (sounds weird) shook my breasts to stimulate a letdown. The pump by itself doesn't always do the trick, but whatever works!

That said, you don't actually need milk to add to cereals - in fact, these days, cereal isn't even considered necessary. You can go straight to other foods. Joe never liked being spoon-fed, so he got almost no cereal and went straight to soft finger foods like avocado. Or I sometimes mixed some cereal with soft carrots, sweet potato, etc.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.