Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: discouraged :(

Default Re: discouraged :(

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3sweetboys View Post
    He's been irregular since he passed all the meconium. The poop was a bit thicker than mashed potatoes and he had a lot of difficulty getting it out. He was really fussy before and screamed while pooping. It had been about a week since his last BM.
    That actually sounds within the range of normal. You have to remember, breastfed babies use way more of the breastmilk, so they don't go as often.

Also, babies don't know *how* to poop. It takes relaxing specific muscles and tensing other muscles, and all the while, the urge to go is there, he just doesn't know how and it is strange to him.

As long as the color is yellow, and the consistency is soft, you should be rest assured that it probably wasn't constipation, even if it had been a week.

He's been irregular since he passed all the meconium. The poop was a bit thicker than mashed potatoes and he had a lot of difficulty getting it out. He was really fussy before and screamed while pooping. It had been about a week since his last BM.
    So...not constipation. Actual constipation the poop looks like Rabbit pellets. It's hard and dark and very little balls. And doesn't happen to a child who is exclusively breastfed. There IS a thing that happens when their digestive tract begins to mature. Where the poop goes from the bright yellow color to the color and consistency of Peanut Butter. And when this happens it is very normal for a child to hold it for days at a time. As many as 14days between bowel movements can be normal. It's important to remember that breastfed children are NOT like us! So relax about this. It's NOT constipation and it is NOT causing your baby any additional discomfort. Meaning if there IS discomfort there because if gas, I am not discounting that. But nothing EXTRA is going on in terms of straining to poop. Often we can't believe this. So we project. The first time my kid went 7 days without pooping after he had been going 3 times a day I was SURE that every time he fussed or crying it was connected to being uncomfortable. But it wasn't. He was just doing what he always did and I was trying to connect it to something. I am telling you this so that you can cross it off of your list of things to worry about. Add it over on the plus side. Benefit of EBFing. Sometimes you don't have to change poopy diapers everyday!

Way too lazy for formula

My ped said this was constipation, but he never agrees with the LCs. The poop had been green at that time. This morning it was peanut butter colored, but now back to green. The ped said the color doesn't matter as long as he goes, but the LC said it shouldn't be green. I'm really confused since he's my first to BF at all. I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible.
    SAHM to 3 amazing boys!
    DS1 5/3/04
    DS2 12/23/08
    DS3 9/10/10
    My 1st We also and 'cause he won't have it any other way!!

Hi 3sweetboys,

Just reading your post, I think you're doing fine. Your baby's weight gain is about 4.8oz/week. He is gaining! He gained 10oz the week before, that means you're doing lots right! Average weight gain is between 5-7 oz/week. Someone's got to be gaining 5 oz/week and this is fine.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html

As for weighing before and after 1 feeding, it tells you...nothing! But it can definately undermine a mom's confidence. Many moms who are doing great actually can't let-down their milk at all during a test weigh...so the milk intake is 0...too much pressure!! If your LC really wanted to measure his milk intake, she should be measure the baby's intake over a 24 hour period, not just 1 feeding! But I don't see why you need this. Your baby is gaining.

You said he had trouble pooping twice? This is twice in 7 weeks, I wouldn't worry about it. It's near impossible for a breastfed baby to get constipated. And some newborns do only poop once/week and this is OK as long as they're gaining.

As for green poops, the occasional green poop is fine. Actually, my DS had nothing but green poops for 2 weeks and it didn't bother him. It's when you've got the baby who is fussy, gassy and the poops are always green, this is when I"d be concerned.

What's the thing that worries you most? And how's your sleep?
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

What is the Consistency of the green poo? Is it filled with mucous? Because that could be related to a dairy issue. Is Frothy? because that could be related to a formilk/hind milk imbalance. If it's just green but still seedy meh.
    It doesn't sound like your Pedi is really all that knowledgeable about breastfeeding.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    As for weighing before and after 1 feeding, it tells you...nothing! But it can definately undermine a mom's confidence. Many moms who are doing great actually can't let-down their milk at all during a test weigh...so the milk intake is 0...too much pressure!! If your LC really wanted to measure his milk intake, she should be measure the baby's intake over a 24 hour period, not just 1 feeding!
    1 test weight can give you a totally false picture of milk intake. Sometimes the baby takes in less than she would at home, sometimes less. In my case, we had a really good, nearly 2 oz feed at the LC's office, but when I did test weights at home over a 24 hour period the real picture came into focus, because each feed was 1 oz or less.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was mostly just having a rough day. We're really having a hard time adjusting. I've been so emotional that the least little bad seems awful. I looked back on this post and it's really not that bad! It sure seemed like it 2 days ago though. I just have days where I feel like I don't know what I'm doing and the ped and LC tell me different things that lead to nothing but confusion. That's my biggest worry---I don't know EVERYTHING and when I ask a question, I get conflicting answers. What do you do when one person says everything is fine and the other says it's not?

Sleep is awful. My middle son has been teething on top of the baby still getting up every 2-3 hours.

What you said about not getting a let down because of the pressure is so true! I have never been uncomfortable nursing him until then. I had to really focus and even then, he didn't get the second let down that he normally gets.
    SAHM to 3 amazing boys!
    DS1 5/3/04
    DS2 12/23/08
    DS3 9/10/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    What is the Consistency of the green poo? Is it filled with mucous? Because that could be related to a dairy issue. Is Frothy? because that could be related to a formilk/hind milk imbalance. If it's just green but still seedy meh.
    It doesn't sound like your Pedi is really all that knowledgeable about breastfeeding.
    It was mucousy a couple weeks ago, but now all his poops are mashed potato to peanut butter consistency. It was only seedy for the first couple of weeks.

My pedi doesn't seem to know a lot about it, but he's really supportive and won't let me give up. That's hard to come by in the area I live in! I'll just have to have a team rather than 1 person.
    SAHM to 3 amazing boys!
    DS1 5/3/04
    DS2 12/23/08
    DS3 9/10/10

It was mucousy a couple weeks ago, but now all his poops are mashed potato to peanut butter consistency. It was only seedy for the first couple of weeks.

My pedi doesn't seem to know a lot about it, but he's really supportive and won't let me give up. That's hard to come by in the area I live in! I'll just have to have a team rather than 1 person.
    When you say Mashed potatoes do you mean green crumbly poo?

Way too lazy for formula

I was mostly just having a rough day. We're really having a hard time adjusting. I've been so emotional that the least little bad seems awful. I looked back on this post and it's really not that bad! It sure seemed like it 2 days ago though. I just have days where I feel like I don't know what I'm doing and the ped and LC tell me different things that lead to nothing but confusion. That's my biggest worry---I don't know EVERYTHING and when I ask a question, I get conflicting answers. What do you do when one person says everything is fine and the other says it's not?

Sleep is awful. My middle son has been teething on top of the baby still getting up every 2-3 hours.

What you said about not getting a let down because of the pressure is so true! I have never been uncomfortable nursing him until then. I had to really focus and even then, he didn't get the second let down that he normally gets.
    Take it easy on yourself! You've just had a baby and your hormones are going crazy and you're not getting enough sleep. It's also really hard when the people helping you are giving you different opinions, this happens to alot of moms, unfortunately. Soon you'll feel like you've really got the hang of this nursing thing. For alot of moms, this is around 8 weeks-3 months. These days will soon be just a blur, I promise.

For now, just try to cuddle and nurse your baby lots and take 1 day at a time, OK? You're doing good!
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; October 31st, 2010 at 02:20 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.