Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: discouraged :(

Default discouraged :(

I went in to have my DS weight checked today and he had only gained 4 ozs in the last 8 days. He gained 10 in the week before that. I have no idea why he didn't gain more and the LC didn't seem to know either. She just suggested we check in again in a week, and brought up pumping and supplementing as well. She did have me feed him and then weigh him again. He got 40mL which is 1.25 ozs. The LC said this was fine because he eats about 12 times a day, but most babies at his age (7 weeks) would get about 2 ozs and eat less frequently. I also had her look in his mouth and she confirmed my fears of thrush as well! It was just an over all bad visit. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. He's been gassy since birth, spits up a lot (ped is not sure if it's reflux or lactose intolerance), has always had infrequent BMs, and has had trouble with actual constipation twice. I just can't help but feel like I'm causing the problems because I am his only source of food. Anyway, I just need encouragement. Did anyone else have a baby that didn't gain, but was getting enough milk?
    SAHM to 3 amazing boys!
    DS1 5/3/04
    DS2 12/23/08
    DS3 9/10/10
    My 1st We also and 'cause he won't have it any other way!!

Default Re: discouraged :(

I just want to encourage you to not give up!! Both of my boys had no trouble with gaining weight so I really can't help you there, but my second was very gassy and spit up lots in the beginning. He still spits up some, but it has gotten lots better. He's still a little gassy, but not anything like he was the first weeks. Just hang in there, it will get better!
    SAHM to Roman (3/6/09) and Solomon (5/24/10)

I wouldn't be so discouraged.... its not like he isn't gaining at all! It can be tough when your LO relies on you and especially since you are having a rough time. You could try to cut out dairy in your own diet and see if that helps his gas/ spit up. and take care of your thrush before doing anything drastic that could help you and baby be much more comfortable during nursing sessions which could lead to him gaining more!
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

Hang in there mama! You're doing a great job! It is NOT your fault. True, you are his main source of food, but you cannot control how his body metabolized/consumes that food. There are some challenges that come up with bfing. I'm sure every mama on here has encountered one at least once, I know I have several. Things just happen.
    Try to relax and lay in bed all day with your LO if need be, so that it may help him gain weight and help you recover from thrush. Drink plenty of water, too
    You are doing a lot of things right mama, just look at how much your LO has already grown since he was born. Like I always say: Just be because breastfeeding is natural, doesn't mean it comes naturally! It'll get better!
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Things will get easier everyday. It sounds like you're doing everything right! Keep up the good work.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

yes. some weeks it is normal for infants not to gain an ounce a day. sometimes they only gain 1/2 an ounce a day, but then it will pick up again. Any gain is a gain. You are doing great.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Anything from .5oz to 2oz a day is in the range of normal. It fluxuates THAT much. So as long as your child IS gaining, I wouldn't worry. I am interested in your bout with constipation. Can you tell me about that? Do you think that just because your child didn't go for longer than you expected? Or because of the consistency of the poop? Can you please describe the consistency of the poop me?

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks everybody! Emotions are just running high right now because I'm so tired. I think we all know about that. My DH and I moved and have no family around to help us out. It's hard for me to just focus on nursing when I have 2 other kids. I'll find the balance eventually!
    SAHM to 3 amazing boys!
    DS1 5/3/04
    DS2 12/23/08
    DS3 9/10/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Anything from .5oz to 2oz a day is in the range of normal. It fluxuates THAT much. So as long as your child IS gaining, I wouldn't worry. I am interested in your bout with constipation. Can you tell me about that? Do you think that just because your child didn't go for longer than you expected? Or because of the consistency of the poop? Can you please describe the consistency of the poop me?
    He's been irregular since he passed all the meconium. The poop was a bit thicker than mashed potatoes and he had a lot of difficulty getting it out. He was really fussy before and screamed while pooping. It had been about a week since his last BM.
    SAHM to 3 amazing boys!
    DS1 5/3/04
    DS2 12/23/08
    DS3 9/10/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    At that age, constipation is pretty rare. So tell us more.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"