Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Continuation of my Anxiety

Default Continuation of my Anxiety

Okay so I already posted that I did an internal dance of joy when my breast leaked recently while my 14-month-old was nursing. Lately, V has gotten really distracted and I feel like sometimes I'm pulling her to me to nurse before she starts giving signs. She's ONLY 14-months-old and I really want to nurse well beyond the 2 year recommendation. She would be the FIRST baby in either parental family allowed to nurse full term and self wean. Now I know she isn't weaning, but she just doesn't seem as interested in breastfeeding as she was even a few weeks ago.

I guess I'm just not ready to even consider cutting back at this stage, and just wanted to share that... Ugh.
    Kirsten, Full-Time Mother To:
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009

I am generally or or both
    I cloth diaper and nurse in public, proudly!

And with our ped's blessing, I'm raising a vegetarian baby who is half my height at 1-year-old!

Default Re: Continuation of my Anxiety

ahhh, the blessings of a leaky breast.
    Yes 14 months old is still a baby and your milk will carry your daughter healthfully past her second birthday as her main source of nutrition if
    1. She has unfettered access to you
    2. She nurses at night
    3. she is not separated from you during the day for long stretches of time.

if your daughter has begun her own journey towards mastering the world without relying on you b/c the two of you are not together all day long and she must eat from sources other than you , her accomplishments heed respecting.
    some children do indeed out grow the need to nurse before they are two years old. still others gleefully nurse past 4.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I just wanted to say that my daughter is still nursing at 24 months and she has been separated from me during the day for long stretches of time since she was 4 months old. So, if you work, don't feel guilty about that or feel like she will wean early because of that.

Not trying to debate here, just wanting to say that you don't have to be a SAHM to have a child self-wean later than 2.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for the gentle reminder. You are right. Our babies will continue to reap the benefits of being breastfed as long as we keep up a milk supply and let them nurse when we are together.
    thinking back to my nursing toddlers I realize that I didn't spend every day unfettered. and I am in awe of moms who make the commitment to nurse into toddlerhood while being employed.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I am a SAHM and we bed share and I let her breastfeed on demand and sometimes when I need her to nurse for whatever reason (painful letdown, I need a moment, it's been too long...) I guess I'm just having trouble with her growing up so fast in the midst of such a tumultuous time in our lives. I just wish we had more time you know?

And her Nana (my step-mother) is constantly putting food in front of her when we are at my parents' house, which is anywhere from two to four days a week lately. This coming Sunday will be the first time we are truly separated for any longer than 6 hours (which was when she was five months old when I went to a leadership retreat), most of the time it is a three hour separation once a week but my parents are giving my husband and I a "date day" as we are trying to reconcile and they will watch V during the day for us.
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009

And with our ped's blessing, I'm raising a vegetarian baby who is half my height at 1-year-old!

Joe has gone through stages of being too busy and distracted to nurse during the day (and possibly my FT job and pump weaning makes that more noticeable) but then, after a couple weeks "off" he always gets right back "on" and nurses like it's going out of style! I do think there's an ebb and flow. Babies go through stages of adventuring, and clinging. Sounds like your LO is in an "adventuring" stage right now! But she'll be back.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My DD just went through a similar phase not too long ago. I thought she was weaning only to discover that she had 4 molars coming in. I guess it was too painful to nurse for a while Have you noticed any teething? Once the first one cut through everything was back to normal. They do get distracted and want to perfect their skills, become independent and explore all at once, but they'll always want to come back and "touch base" with mama
    I just posted this on the Keep On Rambling thread, that it just dawned on me how much I'm going to miss bfing when she decides to wean It's the only time I get to cuddle, hold, caress, and admire her without her running off. I know when she's older she can actually sit/lay on my lap for some cuddling, but they are just so curious right now as toddler.
    You're right, they are growing up so fast, but at least they are that way because of the precious & healthy bond they do have with mama, bf or not...have to give credit where credit is due
    Just remember, it's just a phase and the next phase may be different where you have a toddler wanting to be attached to you 24/7
    Oh the joys of motherhood!
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Thank you ladies. I just find her to be an oasis, and sometimes a tornado, but always delightful. <3
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009