Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is there any benefit to the free style over the PISA

Default Is there any benefit to the free style over the PISA

I have a PISA and am wondering if the free style is a better pump. I am going back to work full time and am debating buying a new pump. Any info would be appriciated.

Default Re: Is there any benefit to the free style over the PISA

I have only ever used the Freestyle, but I love it. I also considered the PISA Metro Bag and am glad I chose the Freestyle.

It's so small and I like that it runs on a battery charge. I only seem to need to charge it every few days, and that's pumping 3 times a day for 15 minutes each time (I do find that I pump more when the battery is at least half charged). In the bathroom where I pump at work the only electrical outlet is right next to the toilet. I sit on the other side of the room in a chair as far from the toilet as I can get, and I can just rest the pump on my lap or on the counter. No need for an extension cord! It would be a pain to always have to plug the pump in.

I needed to swap out the standard horns for the next size up, but I think that would have been the case with the PISA as well.

I don't use the hands free setup that comes with the pump. It seems overly-complicated to me, and I don't use the SoftFit shields anyways. I have a Simple Wishes pumping bustier and use that instead, or I'll just use the rubber band trick with my nursing bra if I'm really in a hurry. I really like pumping hands-free in general but you could do that with any pump, given a little ingenuity.

I had a 25% off coupon at BRU that I used to buy the Freestyle. It brought the price down to around the same as the PISA Metro Bag.
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010

I used the PISA with DS1 and got a Freestyle with DS2. The store I bought the Freestyle from was accepting used Medela pumps and gave me a credit towards the purchase of a new pump.

Pumping power seems similar.

Freestyle - love the small size, light weight, battery power as default. I love not being tethered to a pump and can walk around as needed.

Freestyle - don't like the "soft fit" shields, used my "hard" ones from the PISA
    - don't like the hands-free contraption that comes with the pump, instead used a pumping "bustier"
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I liked the small size of the freestyle. I got an awesome deal on one from www.bestbuybaby.com