Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work!

Default Going back to work!

I start back to work Friday. I really wish I could stay home with my LO, but we unfortunately can’t afford to live on one income. I have a bottle hater but hope that will get better or will cluster feed at night. I hope to only use breast milk no formal if possible.

I plan on pumping three times a day at work. I have a few questions. There will be days I have to go to another location for meetings. I may have to pump in the car because of that. I have a hand pump. I live in a busy city so getting privacy in a car if difficult. Have any tips?

How can I make sure I don’t reduce my milk production? If DS (3 months old) cluster feeds at night because he hates bottles, how do I make sure I have enough milk for him at night?

Lastly, any encouraging words about going back to work and leaving my LO is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all so much!

Default Re: Going back to work!

How about those sun shades? You could put one of the big ones in the windshield and the little baby ones on the side windows. They also make car adapters for electric pumps, you don't have to use the hand pump! Or you could pump under a nursing cover.

BTDT with the pumping at work, it ain't easy, but you're giving your LO the best! I didn't mind pumping till I HAD to do it.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

i understand how you feel about going back to work. i have 3 1/2 month old twin boys and have been back to work for 3 weeks now. i also pump 3 times a day. here's how my schedule works. they nurse 2 -3 times during the night, i feed them at 5:30 in the morning and drop them off at daycare by 7:00, i pump at their next feeding which is at 8:30, luckily their daycare is close so i nurse them at 11:00 and go back to work and pump again, then pump at 3:00 and then they nurse when we're home between 5:30-6:00pm. My twins are usually in bed by 7:30-8pm and sleep for 4-5 hours. i pump again betwen that feeding. So total i am pumping 10 ounces a day to provide to my daycare provider for the next day's feeding. they both eat 2.5 oz at each feeding. i know sounds exhausting but i think i'm finally in the routine.

while at work i would make sure you are constantly snacking so your milk production doesn't go down. i also eat oatmeal every morning bc i've heard that helps keep your milk up, but with nursing it's supply and demand, so the more you nurse/pump the more milk will be supplied. as far as pumping in your car i would suggest using your nursing cover. i highly recommend getting an electric pump especially since your returning to work. it takes less effort and i feel with a hand pump takes it takes a lot longer to express milk. i know they are expensive but it is well worth it for your baby and you'll get your monies worth if you see the cost of formula.

keep up the great work on nursing!

just wanted to say, great advice from kowest, and to you for nursing and pumping for twins. I just threw my coat over when I had to pump in the car. I would highly recommend getting a car adapter for your electric pump because you get so much more milk from the electric. A friend of mine also would climb into the back seat of her SUV and pump because she had tinted windows. She used the battery pack with the electric pump.

Yes, my biggest advice: EAT HEARTILY. (And it's fun to follow too! )

I use my electric pump in my car all the time, with the battery or plugged into my cigarette lighter (with the car idling, don't want to drain the car battery). I put a nursing cover over it, pulled out my book, and generally, I don't think anyone knew what I was up to.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

A hand pump is just not going to cut it to work full time. I strongly suggest getting a double electric, and picking up a battery pack if necessary so that you can pump without being plugged in. I have a Medela Freestyle that always runs on battery power and it's very convenient.

I occasionally (1-2 times a week) need to pump in a locker room at work. No other women have come in while I pump but I throw my down vest over the front of me while pumping just in case and as a bonus it keeps me nice and warm! You could also use a nursing cover to pump in the car.

I've been back at work for 2 weeks and we're starting to get into a routine. DD nurses at 6:30 AM, we leave for work/daycare at 7, she's dropped off at 7:15ish and I'm at work by 7:30. I pump at around 9 AM, noon, and 3 PM (I will shift by a half hour or so to accommodate meetings), and leave work at 4 PM to pick her up. She's picked up and we're on our way home by 4:15ish. We arrive home around 4:30 and she usually nurses at 5 PM. She eats again at 7 or 7:30 and we try to get her to bed by 8 PM. After she goes to bed I prep bottles for daycare and wash pump parts. I generally wake her up at 10-10:30 for a snack before I go to sleep and then she will wake up once (usually) between then and 6:30 AM to nurse.

A key is to do everything the night before - have your lunch ready, have baby's bottles and daycare supplies ready, lay out clothes for you and baby, even shower the night before so that all you need to do in the morning is get up, eat (you and baby), get dressed, and GO.

So far I actually don't mind pumping at work. It gives me a much-needed short break in my workday that I was always too busy to take prior to having my baby. I have a hands-free pumping bustier and I check personal email, play games, or surf the web on my iPhone while I pump. I find it easier to focus on the work at hand after my breaks.
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010

Smile Re: Going back to work!

Welcome to the club

I've been back at work full time for a week now. I pump 3 times a day and (because DS is a mega bottle hater) we cluster feed through the night.

I can recommend eating well (including the oats) and keeping hydrated. I notice a dip in my supply if I miss breakfast.

As the other mommas said, it's supply and demand. After having me to nurse from on Saturday DS didn't nurse so much that night. The sleep was appreciated but - wow was I swolen! I had more than enough milk and almost got up to pump a few times.