Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trip Away from 13 Mo old, What to do?

Default Trip Away from 13 Mo old, What to do?

My dd will be one in a little over a week. She's been going without bm at daycare from 730 - 1230 Monday through Friday for a month now. The rest of the time she nurses every 2 hours or so.

She actually nurses in the evening, then when she's sleepy but not asleep DH will carry her into bed. He has been rocking her, but lately she's let him put her on the bed and say goodnight and walk away. So they have a pretty good routine going. She does wake up a few times a night to nurse (anywhere from 1x to 5x, depending).

So I am going away for 3 days after Christmas (she will be 13 months) and she will be home with DH. Do I try to pump some to leave for her? Is there anything else I should do to prepare them? Should he offer her water at night? Someone else had suggested just a "reminder" cup of BM a day because I don't necessarily want her to wean.

I know things could change again before Christmas so I feel silly about worrying about this now. But at the same time, I get so little when I pump - less than an ounce that if I'm going to have some I'll need to start now.

Default Re: Trip Away from 13 Mo old, What to do?

For me, at 13 months, I probably wouldn't worry about leaving any pumped milk for her... Does she drink cow's milk at all? And honestly, the "reminder cup" of breastmilk isn't really necessary... my son drinks both EBM and cow's milk from a sippy but he could care less which one it is, he drinks them both just fine.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Do you plan on pumping while you're away? I probably wouldn't leave my 13 mo, but that's not for everyone either.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I think it depends on what you and your DH are comfortable with. If he wants the bottles of breastmilk just in case you could pump and leave them. But I don't think it's a must-have especially if your baby is used to going to bed without it.

If it were me I'd probably pump some just in case.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Wink Re: Trip Away from 13 Mo old, What to do?

I know every situation is totally different, but I'll share what happened with me in case it helps. I had to leave my little guy for ten days (death in family) when he was just over a year old. I got totally stressed out about the lack of time to prepare, how to deal with engorgment (I nurse 2 so I produce a lot), how he would handle it, would I dry up. . .

The first night I felt uncomfortably full and tried to pump but it wasn't going well and I figured the extra stimulation may just make things worse so I gave up. The next day I was a bit sore but not to bad and there were no issues after that. My little guy drank goats milk for my husband from a sippy cup and only seemed to miss the boob first thing in the morning when he would rub my husband's chest and moan. When I got home, I sat down and nursed him for 2 hours (don't think he got much milk but we both needed it) and in two days my supply was back to usual.

I don't know if this is typical but maybe knowing sometimes it just works out will help!
    Mama to Bianca, born July 3rd 2006
    and Oakly, born April 17th 2009

Thank you all for your ideas. I hope its that easy mamaliz, but I'm getting very nervous now. The trip is only a couple of weeks away. I've had very little success getting her to drink cows milk. She does drink a little water. I've had very little success with the pump. The only time I seem to get any out is first thing in the morning, and I hate to take away her nursing before child care. I know intellectually that she won't starve, but I'm having trouble with that emotionally.

Can you take her with you?

I wouldn't worry too much about getting her to drink cow's milk. If she eats a good diet of solids, including dairy she should be fine. Even if she doesn't eat a lot of dairy I don't think 3 days is going to make much difference nutritionally.

You aren't taking away her morning nursing if you pump, she can still nurse and get milk even if you've just finished pumping.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I can't take her with me. I'm okay with that, I just want to do everything possible to make it as smooth a time as possible for my dh and dd.

I know babies are supposed to be much more efficient than the pump, but if I pump in the morning and then feed her that same side, she always seems hungry right after. I guess this could be all in my head.

I also have a dd who can eat a full meal, so much so that she's burping to get another bite down and still wants to nurse after. Will she get dehydrated if she's not nursing?

No, if she's thirsty and you aren't there she'll drink water (or whatever your DH gives her).

It may take a longer nursing session to satisfy her after you've pumped because the flow will be slower, but she will get milk and it will have the added benefit of being the thick, rich hindmilk. I bet if you give yourself an extra few minutes to let her nurse longer she won't have any problem. Of course, getting a few extra minutes to do anything in the morning seems to be darn near impossible in my house. Hopefully you can make it work.
    --Anonymous