Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: freezer stash & toddler

Default freezer stash & toddler

I'm beginning to think about pump weaning DS2 would be about 15.5 mo when I stop pumping.

I can't remember what I did last time ...

When your LO was a toddler, did you still have a freezer stash? How much?

I'm leaning towards NOT having any EBM as backup. When we're together DS2 will nurse. At preschool or when I'm not around he can have water or cows milk. If I get hit by a bus and can't nurse or pump, then we have bigger problems. And I'm also not going to have a HUGE stash to cover that sort of worst case scenario.

I'm trying to figure out if I feel comfortable having ZERO EBM in the freezer.

What did you do?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: freezer stash & toddler

I'm not there yet, I'm at 9.5 months right now, but here's my plan.

Because of my work hours I've been down to a single pumping session at work, and often do not hit the next day's target for milk for DS. So I've been dipping into my freezer stash, to the tune of up to 1 bottle each day in daycare (sometimes it's just 1-2 supplemental ounces).

At this rate, I will be able to fully supply breastmilk for 12 months, even if I pump wean around 11 months (which is what I'm currently planning). Actually, based on my current output, I'd have enough stash to supply up to 14 months of 2 bottles/day at daycare based on my work hours. So, I can still cover up to 12 months in case my output drops dramatically or there's an emergency or something.

I plan to exhaust my freezer stash and not keep backup. I'll continue dipping into it as needed (today, for a shock, I actually exceeded his needs for tomorrow) to supplement what I pump, and then I'll rely on it for after I stop pumping. Once he's hit 12 months, I'll probably only be sending about 4 oz/day for a sippy cup at daycare, so if my stash holds out past that, it could be 15-16 months.

But I don't see a need to keep a backup past 1 year, even though we will continue to nurse when we're together.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I'm sooooo glad you brought this up! I have been thinking about this exact topic lately and I am also leaning towards not having any EBM in the freezer. Although it makes me a little at the thought of not having any in there, I really just can't see the need? And I certainly don't want all my effort of pumping and freezing to go to waste by just leaving it in the freezer forever, so I am on a path to just use it up until it's gone and then DS will just drink cow's milk or water at daycare and then we will nurse when we are together.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I weaned from the pump at about 9 months - Mollie was eating some off the table and I nursed her on demand (I am lucky enough to work in a BF friendly place), so I didn't have anything in the freezer. When she started her new daycare at 1yr, I figured her 4-6 nursing sessions w/me (5pm after daycare, at bedtime, 2-3x during the night, 7-8am) were enough and she can get juice or water in her cup. I didn't intend to give her cow's milk per se, but when I picked her up from daycare the other day, she was drinking some with her graham crackers. I didn't get upset because I didn't tell her babysitter NOT to give it to her...in fact I never addressed it at all.
    We have nothing in the freezer and we have done just fine.
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 19 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 5 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!

My dd is almost 13 mos and I have just pump weaned. I still do have a bit of a stash but am using it up. She is allergic to dairy so she gets water and soy milk at dcp. I send one bottle and one cup because while she loves the big girl cup she makes a big mess because she takes a big mouthful and thinks itshysterical to let it spill out her mouth.
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    I'm sooooo glad you brought this up! I have been thinking about this exact topic lately and I am also leaning towards not having any EBM in the freezer. Although it makes me a little at the thought of not having any in there, I really just can't see the need? And I certainly don't want all my effort of pumping and freezing to go to waste by just leaving it in the freezer forever, so I am on a path to just use it up until it's gone and then DS will just drink cow's milk or water at daycare and then we will nurse when we are together.
    WSS.