Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "No food or drink after midnight?!?!?"

Default "No food or drink after midnight?!?!?"

Hi there,

I haven't posted in a while. My DD is almost 2 1/2 and things have been going smoothly for quite a while. She went to the dentist yesterday and has a cavity at the back of one of her front teeth. Of course, the dentist says it's due to breastfeeding at night....... Of bigger concern than what the dentist thinks, though, is that they will need to use a mild sedative (Versed) which requires "no food or drink after midnight." My DD has never been away from me at night and has never been denied nursing at night. When I haven't been "available" briefly in the middle of the night, she has become progressively more upset (think screaming and throwing punches; she seems delirious) until I appear, despite my DH's best efforts. So, I'm really nervous, concerned, etc about following this directive. The nurse said if she does drink after midnight and becomes sick during the procedure, she could aspirate. The rational side of me says risk of death vs. hysterical toddler in the middle of the night = hysterical toddler wins. Still, I would really appreciate your thoughts, feedback, advice, sympathy (LOL). Thanks...
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Default Re: "No food or drink after midnight?!?!?"

No advise here, just sympathy.
    Hope everything goes well. That's a tough call. The last think I want is DD to spend the night before a scary situation awake and frustrated. Any other options? Laughing gas maybe?

Laurie (Mommy to Addison, breastfeeding for over 2 years now and DS due 12/1/10)

Laughing gas may be an option... The dentist suggested sedation because it will give her amnesia for the event, be less "traumatic" and, thus, prevent a future fear of dentists. I wonder how traumatic being denied nursing is going to be for her, though... And, I can't deny my own sadness about not being able to nurse her then.

Pumped for 30 months

What time is the procedure? Is it possible that you only need to wait 4 hours or something like that? There are some moms on here whose kids have had ear tubes put in that hopefully will come along and be able to answer your question...

Sorry, I'm sure that's a terrifying prospect.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You will have to check with your doctor, but when B had to be put under, (and Kate too come to think of it for her tubes), they said breast milk up to 4 hours before the surgery because it is digested so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    You will have to check with your doctor, but when B had to be put under, (and Kate too come to think of it for her tubes), they said breast milk up to 4 hours before the surgery because it is digested so quickly.
    This is what I recall, too. Trouble is MANY peds will not agree and will cancel your surgery if you tell them.

Here is the link to Dr Sears' info.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Logan had to have surgery for his ear tubes at 11 months, and they let me, after much wrangling, nurse him up until 4 hours prior to surgery. Then DH had to take over, and that was tough as he liked to nurse in the early, early AM.

Ian had 8 cavities filled, and they just gave him some gas and used a Waterlase to numb him. No drugs needed, and he just laid there, utterly fearless and let them do what they needed to do. That said...I don't know if a 2.5 year old could be still long enough

ETA: By wrangling, I meant I actually had to find and print out the current policy suggested by the society of anesthesiologists, which I found somewhere online. Apparently, the recommendation is to allow breastfeeding infants to nurse up until 4 hours prior to surgery. That said, they did think it really weird that I was still nursing an 11 month old at night. You are probably going to catch even more flak since your child is 2.5 years and could, physiologically, go without nursing overnight. They won't know what to make of that. Just stick to your guns.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; October 26th, 2010 at 08:16 AM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The dentist's office just called me back and said up to 6 hours before the procedure, which is scheduled for 9. That's better than nothing, but I still may push it to 4 hours without telling them since many of you have done so without any problems. Thank you SO much for your responses.

I'm also interested more in your story, aprilsmagic. How old was Ian when he had cavities filled? Were they done all at once? DD had her other front tooth done around one year of age. They used nothing but a bit of gas and a papoose. She screamed and cried, but she has no memory of it. She hated being swaddled as a newborn, so I think the papoose was part of the problem. That being said, the procedure was fairly quick. And, honestly, if we could go without the drugs, I would much prefer that - especially at her age. What is a Waterlase, by the way?

Pumped for 30 months

My son had 6 cavities filled all at once. He was three. He was awake and they just had him breathing in the nitrous. He sat still for the whole thing and is NOT traumatized by the dentist. AND since I never volunteered any info about still nursing they didn't try to blame it on that!

Way too lazy for formula

Yeah I haven't volunteered any info about night nursing to E's ped dentist. When she three months she had general anesthesia and the anethesiologist said 3-4 hours would be ok. K had to have a filling at 7 years old I think and she didn't even know they were doing it. They put this purple nose on her that smelled like grape that the gas came through and then numbed her mouth. No pain, no fear, no problems.

E has been to the dentist three times now. She cries when she gets xrays and she balks when the dentist pokes around, but she let's him. She doesn't seem traumatized. It could be the huge heap of fun toys and games in his office. I am firmly convinced that it's worth it to find a dentist that is gentle and good with kids.