Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I take a new job?

Default Do I take a new job?

Hi all, I need advice. I currently have a Great Job that I love and I am good at it. The people I work with are great and are very supportive of breastfeeding/my need to pump. I have job offer at another company that would pay significantly more but there is always the risk that the peopel will not be as great and they may not be as understanding about breastfeeding and family issues. Is it ever better to leave a job you love for a career advancement? The new job would allow us to move to the area of town where we want to raise our family (good schools, good community, etc) and it would greatly reduce my commuting time too.

Any suggestions on how to figure out which is the right decision?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Do I take a new job?

I would discuss it with the people hiring you and feel them out for their reaction and their support. As long as you are up front about your needs and expectations, there shouldn't be an issue.

More money, right area and a shorter commute so you can spend more time with your family? Sounds great! Congratulations!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post

More money, right area and a shorter commute so you can spend more time with your family? Sounds great! Congratulations!

I understand not wanting to leave a job with great people. But more time with the great people in my family? I'd take it!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I'd tell your current employer that you have a new job offer for "x" amount of money, and that you'd really love to stay with your current company (love the people, fulfilled by the job, etc.), but that you obviously have financial obligations to your family to think of. Some employers will match pay, or at least give you enough of a bump to make it worth staying.

Otherwise, you're leaving on good terms ("I don't want to leave, it's purely financial"), and can kind of keep the door open.

I've changed jobs several times, and it is hard in a new place. Keep in mind that most new hires are actually terminated within 6 months, so you need to hit the ground running and fit in well right from the start so that you're seen as a good fit. If you're not emotionally or physically prepared to do that, I might wait to change jobs. I went through this when I was pregnant, and ultimately decided not to change jobs for a while.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

What job is better for you and your family in the long run?

You'll be breastfeeding / pumping for a relatively short amount of time compared to long term benefits related to job.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    What job is better for you and your family in the long run?

You'll be breastfeeding / pumping for a relatively short amount of time compared to long term benefits related to job.
    Exactly what I was going to say!!!

If it were my choice, based on what you have posted, I would be taking the new job! Goodluck!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70