Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Excessive weight gain!!

Question Excessive weight gain!!

Hi everyone, I´m new in this of being mother so I would need some advice. My baby is 4 months old with 9,3 kg and is 60,5 cm long. She´s perfectly healthy but I´m still worried about her weight. She´s only having breastfeeding every 3 or 4 hours during the day and everytime she wakes up during the night. Any advice? or should I stop worrying?

Default Re: Excessive weight gain!!

Hi mama!
    Both my boys gained very quickly early on, my second son was 18 lbs at 4ish months. It's not unheard of that babies gain very quickly, and then the weight gain tapers and slows down after 6 or so months of age-especially when they become active and start crawling. My son was 24 lbs at 1 year, and while it may be bigger than some he is in no way unhealthy. He's a very busy boy and his Dr never ever saw a problem with his weight gain. Breastmilk digests so quickly I don't think you have to worry about over feeding her, sounds like she is doing great-if she is meeting her milestones, smiling, and seems content I wouldn't worry!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Thanks, I guess everything´s allright. By the way, what do you think about "baby led weaning"? I think it´s a good way of learning how to eat. I´ve told my family and friends about it but they don´t seem very fond of the idea. Have you tried it? Thanks again!!!

I've done it with both my boys and had great success, there are many ladies here who have too. Check out the Introducing Solids section and you'll see a lot of info on Baby Led Solids/Baby Led Weaning

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

with prior poster. Joe was a giant chunky baby, but then his weight gained slowed after six months, when he got mobile. He went from top-of-the-charts down to 75th %. He has only gained a couple pounds in the past year, but he's just a healthy active boy.

BLS was the ONLY kind of feeding Joe would accept. He had a deep abiding hatred of spoons, purees, and rice cereal. I tried that stuff, but he rejected it all, and we ended up with BLS, which is easier, and he will actually eat! Win-win!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with the PPs. Both my girls were around 18 lbs at 4 months. My first rapidly slimmed down once she became mobile, and my second looks like she's headed the same way.

BLW/BLS is the way to go, IMO! No messing with spoons and purees and trying to get the baby to finish the jar. If you get pushback from family and friends, remember that they're probably basing their thinking on old-fashioned and incorrect medical advice and lots of marketing. If asked, just say "She's really enjoying solids, thanks for asking!" No need to get into the details.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with the PPs. Both my girls were around 18 lbs at 4 months. My first rapidly slimmed down once she became mobile, and my second looks like she's headed the same way.

BLW/BLS is the way to go, IMO! No messing with spoons and purees and trying to get the baby to finish the jar. If you get pushback from family and friends, remember that they're probably basing their thinking on old-fashioned and incorrect medical advice and lots of marketing. If asked, just say "She's really enjoying solids, thanks for asking!" No need to get into the details.
    i agree - there are certain things I just don't talk about with people because I am already aware of their perspective, and having another conversation about what I'm doing would not be productive.

I've got a big baby too - he was almost nine at birth and 20 by six months. He started crawling just after his six month appointment, and only gained about two from 6-9! I think they stop getting bulkier once they're mobile.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

BLW is great and works really well with breastfed babies. But make sure your child is developmentally ready and shows all the signs of readiness. At 4 months it is not likely that your child is ready to feed herself.

* Baby can sit up well without support.
    * Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    * Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    * Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    * Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    My family, my mom in particular thought it was really weird and kept trying to cut the food up and smush it and constantly asked me if she was going to choke on something. But after a month or so she saw how well it was working and started bragging to other people about the amazing things her granddaughter could eat. It is going to make people nervous because it's not the way they learned to safely feed a baby, but as long as you are informed and you know what you are doing, don't let them dissuade you.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Smile Re: Excessive weight gain!!

Thanks for all the info!!!! I feel better and less worried. Thanks again, this forum is great!