Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby gained 1 pound in 5 1/2 weeks, should I be concerned?

Default Baby gained 1 pound in 5 1/2 weeks, should I be concerned?

Hello,

To describe my situation, I am a low supply mama who is supplementing with formula. I have decreased my son's formula intake from 25-30 ounces a day to 12-18 ounces a day in the past month while trying to increase my supply. Yesterday I had to take him to the urgent care because of an earache and found out that he weighed 15.4 pounds, which is up one pound from his two month checkup on 9-6-06 where he weighed 14.4 pounds. I calculated he is gaining only about 3 ounces a week. Is that enough, or should I be concerned about his weight gain. I think I may have IGT, not sure though, and he was severely dehydrated at one week. I am afraid he is not gaining enough, does anyone know if this is an okay weight gain or not? Another note--at his doc's they weigh him on a weighted scale w/dry diaper and at urgent care it was a digital scale w/o a diaper. Would this make a difference in his weight?

Thanks

E

Default Re: Baby gained 1 pound in 5 1/2 weeks, should I be concerned?

I don't have a good answer for you on some of your questions but different scales act differently ecspecially if dc was weighed with a diaperon and then the next day not. What is dc diaper outpyt(pee pee and poo poo's)?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBird'sMom View Post
    Another note--at his doc's they weigh him on a weighted scale w/dry diaper and at urgent care it was a digital scale w/o a diaper. Would this make a difference in his weight?
    ABSOLUTELY!

Dr. Jack Newman, an internation breastfeeding authority and frequent speaker at LLL conferences, says that unless baby is weighed naked, by the exact same nurse, on the exact same scale, at the exact same time of day, the weight can be considered suspect. There are other ways to monitor whether or not a baby is getting enough to eat: wet/poopy diapers, meeting developmental milestones, otherwise healthy appearance (hair, eyes, skin, etc...).

If you are concerned about baby's weight gain, I would strongly suggest making an appointment with his regular doctor. You can have LO weighed the way the nurses there normally do it, and you will have a better idea of whether or not there is anything to be alarmed about. Your doctor will be better equipped to answer questions about your baby's overall health.

HTH ,

Tiana

As far as output my ds has about 7 wet diapers a day and has two big dirty diapers every other day. The dirty diapers kind of concern me, they have changed a bit. Before they seemed to be a mix of formula/breastmilk poop, now he will have one formula smelly poop and then later in the day a more breastfed poop. Maybe because I give him one breastmilk bottle once every other day? I thought the formula may be making him constipated? My dh says I am just worrying too much, that ds is fine, but I am just scared he will get dehydrated again like when he was first born.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBird'sMom View Post
    As far as output my ds has about 7 wet diapers a day and has two big dirty diapers every other day.
    This is almost textbook normal. Baby should be having 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 really wet disposables) and 1-2 good bms per day.

Maybe because I give him one breastmilk bottle once every other day?
    Did you mean one formula bottle every other day .

I thought the formula may be making him constipated?
    This is certainly possible. Another thing to ask your doc about. Formula poop looks and smells quite a bit different from breastmilk poop. It tends to be more solid, darker in color, and stinkier.

My dh says I am just worrying too much, that ds is fine, but I am just scared he will get dehydrated again like when he was first born.
    Your feelings are understandable. Don't quench your maternal instincts. If you have concerns about your baby, it is important to get the answers you need. I hope you are finding some of them on this forum.

Take Care,

Tiana

My understanding is that at this age babies should be gaining 1/2-1 oz per day. Or so say most docs.

Is that right?
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TheBluebird View Post
    My understanding is that at this age babies should be gaining 1/2-1 oz per day. Or so say most docs.

Is that right?
    Sorry it took so long to get an answer for this one...I had to dig a little.

From The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, 7th Ed., pg 133:

"After that [first two days after birth], you can be confident that baby is getting enough milk if:...He is gaining weight at an average of six ounces (170 grams) a week or about one and one-half to two pounds (680-906 grams) per month in the first three months. From four to six months, average weight gain for the breastfed baby is four to five ounces (113 to 142 grams) per week; from six to twelve months, average gain is two to four ounces (57 to 113 grams) per week."

There you have it.

E~How have things been going the past few days?

Tiana