Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latch on problem

Unhappy latch on problem

Hello, my daughter is now 16 days old. We were doing great bf up until she was about one week old. Since then I've been having trouble getting her to stay latched on. She will latch on and everything looks right and she take a few swallows but then she will pull off again. We do this over and over until she gets a full feeding. Sometimes she will stay on for 10 mins or more but usually she pulls off right away. I thought it might be because my milk is coming out too fast, but she also pulls off after I pump and soften my breast. One thing I've noticed is her jaw is sort of clicking or snapping before she pulls off and the times she stays on her jaw doesn't seem to do this... Does anyone have any ideas? I'm very worried that I am getting her started off wrong... Thanks

Default Re: latch on problem

What positions are you bf in? Are you supportinig your breast? Perhaps a change of position may help. I found the cross cradle and football hold helped me control ds's head in the beginning and helped to ensure that his chin was touching my breast and latched well.

It may be helpful to you to call a LLL leader or LC who can actually see what is happening and offer advice. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I remember having to support ds's chin while he was nursing, especially in the hospital, to help him stay latched on. I would just put hand under his chin and gently apply a wee bit of pressure. Don't know if that will help but it's worth a try.

Hi Ellie's Mommy,

How has your daughter's weight gain been? How many wet and poopy diapers/24 hours? Are you having any nipple soreness? Anything that you can tell me about these things might help give me a clue about what might be going on.

i was just reading an article for large-breasted women and thought of you. Do you have larger-breasts? http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...yJun89p35.html
    "Many large-breasted women need to hold their breast with fingers underneath and thumb on top throughout the nursing session. This maneuver, in addition to keeping their breasts off the baby's chin and nose, also keeps their nipple in the baby's mouth. Otherwise, the weight of the heavy breast applies pressure on the baby's mouth, making it difficult for the baby to keep the nipple in his mouth." hth

Clicking sounds typically indicate that baby hasn't taken enough of the breast tissue far enough into her mouth. How are your nipples? Are they sore at all?

Try working on getting her to latch deeply each and every time. Here's some pictures/instructions on this technique (not from an approved LLL source): DEEP LATCH TECHNIQUE

Pulling on/off the breast can also be a sign of thrush, although she'd probably do it all the time. Did either of you have antibiotics during labor/birth?

It's important for us to know how baby is doing in regards to wet diapers & poopy diapers. If she's not latched on properly then she may not be getting enough milk.