Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overactive letdown - she's irritated in the evenings

Unhappy Overactive letdown - she's irritated in the evenings

My 6 week old, during the day, handles my OALD like a champ. I have started block feeding to ensure she gets plenty of hindmilk and help regulate my supply.

So far it seems to be working. Her diapers remain yellow (not green) and she gains an average of 8.5 oz per week, and my breast do not get engorged like they did.

Our problem is in the evenings. For some reason she becomes irritated and I become frusterated. She does not handle the OALD so I pump through the first letdown. Even then she remains irritated, pushing the nipple out and quickly resucking, twisting, pulling, crying - causing sore nipples. It's as if she is upset that milk is coming out at all.

Is it possible she is just trying to pasify? If so how else can I comfort her?

Default Re: Overactive letdown - she's irritated in the evenings

Fussiness in the evenings is really, really common. There are even names for it- "evenings-only colic," "the witching hour(s)"... Here are some things that work when nursing doesn't:
    - Water. A warm bath can be really soothing.
    - Motion. Swing, sling, car, stroller, rocking chair, etc.
    - Outside time. With my second, taking her outside and walking her around shut down the fussing like we'd thrown a switch.
    - Swaddling.

ETA: I know that evenings can be INCREDIBLY frustrating. You're giving it your all and all the baby does is scream. If you're at the edge of your sanity, remember that it's okay to put a baby down in a safe place, walk out, close the door, and come back in a few minutes when you're feeling more calm and collected.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; October 23rd, 2010 at 09:14 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with everything Mommal said. Also wanted to add that most babies reach the peak of this evening fussiness around 6 to 8 weeks, then it gets better.

OP:
    same exact story here. from the first night he was born!
    serious oversupply here. I can pump 20+ ounces!! He is fine all day. And, writhing in tummy pain every single night!

Similar problem here... blockfeeding did little to curb my supply, my let down reflex is still MEAN! Sometimes the "laid back nursing position" works well to calm her down and let her nurse - took us a bit of practice to get comfortable but now it's a life-saver!

Maybe in the evenings you could offer a pacifier when it seems she wants to suck but is angry at the milk coming out.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989