Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long thawed but in fridge?

Default How long thawed but in fridge?

I had pre-made a few bottles for my DS last night and then had to stay home with him due to sickness. Do I have to throw out these bottles? How long do they keep if they were only thawed and never touched, always refrigerated?

Default Re: How long thawed but in fridge?

I believe 24 hours from frozen
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t026900.asp#T026901

yep at the bottom in the chart it says 24 hours
    Last edited by @llli*Jenna562; October 22nd, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Sad I hate to throw away nearly 20ozs of BM I worked so hard for that

ugh. it does hurt to throw away pumped milk. really hurt! i get it. can you pump now and freeze/fridge the stuff you pump? i wouldn't do it regularly, but i would hate to waste it!!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

We just had a moment of silence as I dumped out all the bottles

Freeze as a last resort. Put fresh pumped milk that you think you are going to use this week in the fridge. Fresh pumped milk is good in the fridge for 7 days. It's a way better plan. And I think you can still freeze it on day 6.

Way too lazy for formula

I have such a big stash in the freezer now, thankfully. It would be nice to just make fresh bottles without freezing anymore. But what about my stash? Would I have to throw it out eventually? I plan to pump wean around 11-12months (DS is 6mo now). Would it keep for another 6 months when I pump wean and then I could send the stash to daycare until it's gone?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amberlina View Post
    I have such a big stash in the freezer now, thankfully. It would be nice to just make fresh bottles without freezing anymore. But what about my stash? Would I have to throw it out eventually? I plan to pump wean around 11-12months (DS is 6mo now). Would it keep for another 6 months when I pump wean and then I could send the stash to daycare until it's gone?
    I think the general rule is to use frozen milk that's in a shared freezer/fridge around four months. I would stretch that personally, but some moms might not feel comfortable doing that.

Also, one thing that I do to rotate milk that's frozen into the mix is freeze the milk i pump on friday and give him one serving of frozen milk on monday, one fresh that i pumped over the weekend. I don't like the thought of it going to waste - and if something every happened that i needed that milk suddenly, i would want to know that it's still relatively fresh. Never frozen milk is definitely better, but it's good "insurance" to know that you've still got good stuff on hand if necessary.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amberlina View Post
    Not unless you have it in a deep freezer. What size increments are you freezing in? The issue is once the milk is frozen it loses it's antibacterial properties.Freezing kills it. So the length of time it can be out and not frozen it very very short. It goes bad very quickly. Where as fresh pumped milk is full of them and they take a long time to go away at room temperature or in the fridge. Fresh pumped milk can be left out (NO need to even pack it or ice it) for 6-8 hours. Which makes using it while out and about very easy. And it eliminates the need to warm it up. (if you are leaving the child in your home) They will happily drink milk at room temperature usually. And in the fridge for up to a week. So gradually work in bottles from your stash and add newer fresher ones as you go. But in general the way to waste the least amount is to pump and use fresh and use your freezer stash to supplement if you don't quite make it. So like the first day of daycare you use all freezer stash. But then at work you pump all the times you normally feed your baby. And if you get the 9-12oz you need for the next day, THAT is what you use. If you feel like you need some back up, you send all your fresh, and a little bit of frozen. Have her use the frozen stuff FIRST. Because any fresh milk that doesn't get used can go home or be left for the next day. (IF your provider will allow that) If for some reason you aren't pumping enough, that is where that freezer stash really comes in handy. And there will be dips. So it's good to have it. But utilize it as needed. And remember, fresh milk that doesn't get used, provided it was never in a bottle the baby drank out of, can still be frozen on Day 6. If you haven't frozen by day 6 you need to use or toss by the end of day 7.

Way too lazy for formula