Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hown many sets of pumping parts do you need or use?

Default Hown many sets of pumping parts do you need or use?

I am going back to work next week so I tried pumping today as a test day. I realized that I would need to pump 4 or 5 times a day and I am wondering if that means I need 4 or 5 sets of everything? Clearly, yes on the bottles but i have a ton of them. The part I am wondering about it the Medela PersonalFit Connectors - part that connects from the funnel to the bottle? If I pump and wash and sterilize them they are still wet at my next pumping session so they get water in my pump hoses. I have 2 sets but will I need 5 sets?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Hown many sets of pumping parts do you need or use?

If you pull them out of the sterilizing bag immediately while they are still hot, they dry (the water just evaporates as steam) immediately. Or, you don't even have to sterilize, because you can just plop them in the fridge and the milk will be fine (breastmilk is okay even at room temp for like 8 hours).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Ah, I forgot the fridge thing! That is what I did with my first LO. I chilled the connectors and washed and dried the funnels b/c I was not touching a cold funnel to my breast.

Thanks so much! I could not figure out what I had done before.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I have one set of pump parts. Goes into the fridge between pumping sessions. Lots of extra collection bottles.

Everything gets washed at the end of the day. Only sterilize when I was donating or if me or baby was sick.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

The only reason I have more than one is that time I forgot my pump parts at home and had to buy an extra set on my lunch break ...

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I have one set of pump parts. I use the Medela Quick Clean wipes to clean out the horns between pumping sessions and store the part assemblies in a Ziploc in my pump bag between pumping sessions - my first session of the day is around 9 AM and my last is around 3 PM, so the assembly with a bit of residual milk is spending only 6 hours at room temp. The time window for fresh milk at room temp below 72 F is 10 hours un-refrigerated. I feel comfortable with it being at room temp at this time of year for that amount of time, most of the milk is out of the assembly, and if the horns are cold I don't let down as quickly. During warmer months I will likely put the pump parts in the refrigerator because it's a bit warmer in the office during the summer. That will be the last few months of my pumping at work experience, though.

At home after work, everything is broken down and washed in hot soapy water, followed by a trip through the Medela micro steam bag. The water evaporates so quickly after they come out of the bag that I can re-assemble them within about 5 minutes.

This is my collection process:

1. At night I set up three Drop Ins in the 4 ounce Playtex nursers with a Playtex milk storage sealing ring for each. In the morning the ice pack goes in the cooler bag with the three prepped nursers and one Medela collection bottle.
    2. At work, I pump one side directly into the prepped nurser (with the adapter) and the other side into the collection bottle. Whatever comes in the collection bottle is poured into that Drop In and I use the Playtex sealing ring to seal the Drop In and that one goes back into the cooler bag along with the now-empty collection bottle.
    3. At each pump session I just keep following this process. At the third pump session of the day any leftover milk that won't fit in the Drop In will stay in the collection bottle.
    4. At home, I remove the sealing rings, even out/adjust the milk amount in each Drop In, and attach the nipples/caps. The three nursers go back in the fridge and any leftover milk can be stored.

The benefit of this is that I only have one collection bottle to wash along with the pump parts, and I'm basically prepping DD's bottles for the next day as I pump. It works well for me.

I do have a backup set of the spare parts at home just in case I somehow break or lose anything. I didn't want to have to make an emergency Babies R Us run at 9 PM! I also carry a Medela manual pump in my pump bag just in case something goes wrong with the Freestyle itself.
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010