Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with pumping

Default Re: Need help with pumping

Hi Amber. I am guilty of pumping all day as well. I introduced bottles of ebm to my daughter when she was 2.5 weeks old and started giving her bottles all day when she turned 6 weeks old...for the same reasons. I just couldn't keep her awake to eat enough. When I went back to work, I started bf her in the evening through morning and I noticed a small increase in my supply. A few weeks ago, I decided to take the plunge and start bf her all day on the weekends too. I noticed even more of an increase in my supply. She does much better now that she was not in that newborn sleepy phase anymore. So don't worry, that should get better! I have now tried to commit to nursing her whenever I am with her (when I am not at work). To make it easier, I decided to purchase a baby sling so that I could be mobile and have free hands to do other things while nursing. And it will enable me to actually take her out in public and nurse her discreatly when she needs it. My dd likes to nurse for comfort a lot too, so sometimes bottles or pacifiers don't satisfy her. Hang in there!

Thank you so much for your reply and advice, I really appreciate it. When I was pregnant, I swore that I wasn't going to breastfeed because I just didn't think of my breasts in that way. But, after giving birth, before I knew it, there she was, nursing away! After that, I've wanted to keep it up and keep setting short term and long term goals for myself to keep going. I just have such a hard time planting my rear end on the couch all day to nurse her. She still nurses for 45 minutes or so and takes both breasts each time. I try pumping afterward and get next to nothing so I know she's eating. It's just about a half hour to an hour after she's nursed, she wants to eat again. But, when I give her the bottle of approximately the same amount I'm assuming she's getting while nursing, she's good for 2-4 hours without eating again. I wonder why the difference?? Who knows, maybe she just likes the cuddling!

hehe. I know what you mean about being confined to the couch. I had a sore toosh for the longest time. Now that she can latch well on her own, I nurse her while laying down...it's much easier and I can take a little snooze occasionally. When I made the choice to bf, I didn't realize it would be so challenging. The first few weeks I was in tears because I thought I was doing something wrong. Whenever she was awake she acted like she was starving to death and when I would try to feed her she would just fall asleep. But I kept trying to make myself remember that mommy's milk is the best for her, so I kept trying. Later I figured I would rather pump all day and still give her my milk rather than result to formula. I'm glad I did! Now I look forward to her big grin and excitement whenever its time to bf. And those 1 hour feedings every 45 minutes are now 20 minute feedings every hour or two! But I have to agree that I think my dd stretched out the feedings on purpose because she liked the comfort. I have learned to be a lot more patient in these past 4 months which has been a challenge for me!

Amber - sounds like you're doing a great job! Weight seems really good. I started Eping at about 2 mos not for reasons you did but Bfing wasn't working out but after a week or so I worked back in nursing at night & early am feedings like Kim did & it has worked out great. I didn't have supply issues but my friend pumped exclusively & she swore by Mother's Milk tea and Raspberry Leaf Tea (she'd brew them together & make ice tea each day). Also, there's fenugreek which you can take to build supply. You can prob get at health food store. Good Luck!

Amber, good for you for working out a way to meet both your needs and your baby's needs!
    Keep experimenting-- like several people mentioned, your baby's nursing pattern will almost surely change over time. My dd was one of those 45 minute (or longer!) marathon nursers, but as the months went by she became much more efficient. She was also a very intense, high-need baby....she sure taught me a lot about being a mom! And then my son came along... from a very early age he would be done in about 15 minutes! The "normal" amount of time that it takes a baby to nurse ranges from about 5 to 50 minutes. So....your baby is certainly "normal", you're just not comfortable sitting still that long (also "normal") LOL! The one thing I've noticed about babies is that just when you think you're stuck with a particular situation forever, the baby changes and so does the situation.

I agree that as much as you can arrange to nurse at the breast, it will really help keep up your supply. The other advantage to this is it will help protect her via your antibodies. When she is exposed to germs/viruses etc, and nurses, she passes them on to you. Within hours your body makes antibodies and gives them back to her through your milk. There has to be skin-to-skin contact (baby nursing at the breast) at least some time each day for your body/milk to make antibodies to the germs she's exposed to.

Something that may help with assesing how much milk she is taking via the bottle is Dee Kassing's technique for giving a baby a bottle. One place to find it is here: www.bfar.org/bottlefeeding.pdf By holding a straight bottle nearly horizontally, the baby has to work for the milk and can control how much she's getting. With the bottle held at the traditional 45 degree angle, the milk just drips into her mouth whether she wants it or not. No sense in wasting the liquid gold you worked hard to pump!

It sounds like you're doing a great job of acknowledging your own needs while making sure your baby is well-nourished with your milk. Don't be afraid to try some different arrangements-- if you find a comfortable way to nurse exclusively, you may be surprised how efficient it can be. (Now that she's older, anyway). Your plan of setting goals is wonderful. A lot of moms decide they'll nurse/pump for "x" amount of time. Then, when they reach that goal, they evaluate how it's working and how they feel, and set another goal. Keep it managable.

Slings are great! You can nurse and/or keep your baby close (what she wants) while still going about your business and doing what you want. If you are able to attend any LLL meetings in your area, check it out and see what they know. I've been attending/leading groups for nearly 10 years and I still learn something new or interesting every time. Mothers are an incredibly creative group!

You've already come a long way in your mothering journey. I hope it continues to be interesting and fulfilling for you.

Dawn
    LLL of Central Gwinnett

LLLDawn,

Thank you so much for your reply and information. I had no idea that the majority of the antibodies I pass to my daughter during breastfeeding happened due to the skin to skin contact. I thought that all of that happened only as a result of antibodies that I'd already built up and was passing to her. Very interesting!

Thanks also for the link to that article, it was very imformative and has given me more ideas as I've found that my daughter doesn't really seem as interested in nursing now that I've started working it back into our routine. She seems to get frustrated when she's nursing and not given a bottle. I'm guessing it's because she's having to work harder for her meal.

Thanks again!

Amber

Hi Amber
    I'm glad I could provide some useful information.
    You are right: you do give your baby antibodies to things you are already immune to. However, both you and your baby are continually exposed to new and different "bugs" (think cold and flu viruses that are continually mutating). By breastfeeding, your baby gets the benefit of your mature immune system while hers is still developing. Children's immune systems aren't fully mature until around 6 yrs of age.

I've talked with numerous families and experienced myself a situation where everyone in the house is sick except the baby. When you're in bed with the flu, it sure is nice to not deal with pumps and bottles and such.... So, even if you do get sick, keep nursing/pumping for the baby.

Hoping you have a happy, *healthy* time with your baby!

Dawn

I went throught the same thing with my daughter, the first 4 months I felt like all I did was nurse. If she was awake, she wanted my nipple in her mouth (I refused to let her have a pacifier, she had latch problems, so she used me instead). It was very difficult to handle especially since I have a toddler and no one to help me with them (single mom). My only break was work but I had to pump there and couldn't pump enough to send each day to school. A LC advised me to switch her to newborn nipples because bottle fed babies are frequently overfed because they will finish the bottle, be full but still want to suckle. Switching the nipples helped a lot. And when she turned 4 months she started to get interested in the world around her and didn't want to nurse constantly. She also takes a pacifier now, she discovered one of her brother's as she rolled around on the floor and fell in love with it, thankfully her latch has been corrected and the pacifier doesn't seem to interfere. Whatever decision you make, just remember that you are her mother and you love her and putting yourself under too much stress doesn't do either one of you any good. I had supply problems due to self induced stress over pacifiers, which is resolved now thanks to my son. Just hang in there.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)