Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feel cold all the time

Default feel cold all the time

This might be an odd question - but I very frequently feel cold and almost like having the chills (but not like having a fever chills). Some days it seems like I can never get warm, and I have been sleeping under a pile of extra blankets. I was wondering if this is my body still adjusting to being warm all the time when pregnant (DS is 12 weeks today), or related to breastfeeding and maybe I'm not eating enough to keep up with the demands on my body from creating milk. Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Default Re: feel cold all the time

I'd be interested to know what others think as well. My DS is 9 wks old and I too am FREEZING all the time. My DB is upset because I've turned the heat on in the house already for the winter

I feel more sane knowing I'm not the only one!

Were you anemic at all during pregnancy? I know being cold is one sign of anemia. Are you still taking a vitamin? Might be worth a check if you have other symptoms, too, like being tired.....(aren't we all ) Either that or you're like me and just have a hard time adjusting to the cold seasons!

i'm guessing it might be anemia, too. i'm anemic and i'm also always cold. it wouldn't hurt to get checked.

Isn't this one symptom of low thyroid? When did you have your last complete physical exam?

--Rebecca

I remember people telling me that I would sweat a lot after delivery for a while...and I did. I have no idea why, but it happened. So that could be causing chills. Actually, funny story....while I was pregnant (over the winter time), we had our thermostat set to go down to 59 at night...yes 59! My husband complained a couple of times, but essentially just dealt with it. After I delivered I was FREEZING and complained, "Why is it so cold in here...and WHY is the thermostat set so low?". Ha ha. I had no idea I was THAT hot during pregnancy. I remember just thinking our place just must hold heat well and our thermostat must be off a little. Anyway, all this to say you could be still adjusting to being so hot during pregnancy. I've never heard the anemia thing, but that seems serious, so at least rule that out before you accept this as an explanation. Oh...and it did get better for me, probably after a 2-3 months.

Thanks all - nice to know that being cold is pretty common. I do have a little low thyroid but am taking meds and my thyroid levels are stable and good. Hematocrit levels were good during my whole pregnancy, and good at my 6 week postpartum checkup. I'm still taking prenatal vitamins and eating my greens so should be ok on iron levels. It's mostly just mildly annoying, I'm not worried that something is really wrong. Fortunately DH is sympathetic and helps make sure I'm well bundled with lots of blankets and brings me tea when I'm nursing.

Lynn

Wow, that is interesting. My pregnancy "I'm hot" feeling stays with me even 1 year later. Everybody in my family has pointed out how I used to be cold all the time and wear extra stuff and now hanging out in a t-shirt. Strange! As far as coldness goes, I agree with the pp about the possible anemia.