Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Alcohol, Hopps and PPD - Please advise!

Default Alcohol, Hopps and PPD - Please advise!

I have severe PPD which is controlled by meds. I can't drink beer because I'm unaware of the possible side effects it may cause. I was very depressed and suicidal prior to meds so I really don't want to rock the boat by trying alcohol to see what kinda reaction I have.

I've heard that one beer a day can help increase supply. I believe it is the hopps in the beer that does this?? It was recommended by my IBCLC prior to my PPD being diagnosed.

Can I drink non-alcoholic beer and get the same result? Or does it have to be alcoholic beer? And is there enough alcohol in one beer to pose a possible threat with my PPD meds? I know we aren't supposed to give medical advice, I'm simplu asking for opinions...

TIA!

ETA: Also taking domperidone, more milk plus and fenugreek
    Last edited by Mama2Caleb2006; October 16th, 2006 at 07:53 PM.

Default Re: Alcohol, Hopps and PPD - Please advise!

Quote Originally Posted by Mama2Caleb2006 View Post
    I have severe PPD which is controlled by meds. I can't drink beer because I'm unaware of the possible side effects it may cause. I was very depressed and suicidal prior to meds so I really don't want to rock the boat by trying alcohol to see what kinda reaction I have.

I've heard that one beer a day can help increase supply. I believe it is the hopps in the beer that does this?? It was recommended by my IBCLC prior to my PPD being diagnosed.

Can I drink non-alcoholic beer and get the same result? Or does it have to be alcoholic beer? And is there enough alcohol in one beer to pose a possible threat with my PPD meds? I know we aren't supposed to give medical advice, I'm simplu asking for opinions...

TIA!

ETA: Also taking domperidone, more milk plus and fenugreek

My personal opinion is I am against drinking while breastfeeding, no matter what....a lot of people do drink a glass of wine or have a beer and that is their choice & I am not going to put them down for that. Myself, I wouldn't do it. Supposly it's the yeast in the beer (dark beer only) that increases the milk supply. With you on medications, I would steer clear of alcohol for your own personal saftey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama2Caleb2006 View Post
    I have severe PPD which is controlled by meds. I can't drink beer because I'm unaware of the possible side effects it may cause. ITIA!
    Steer clear of beer all together, my dear. Meds and beer don't mix. I promise. Maybe you should have a piece of birthday cake, instead? Happy Birthday!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Maybe you could try taking brewer's yeast tablets, I got a bottle of 500 pills at GNC for $8. They were recommended by my LLLL to help increase supply. They kind of smell like beer, but I don't think they will interfer with your meds, it's the hopps that I think may make you depressed.

Beer and other alcohols don't help with supply, but they can help with those mothers who are having letdown issues, mostly because they help the mother relax a little bit.

There are *much* better ways to increase supply than adding alcohol to your diet. http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Stay away from the beer. I am assuming you are taking a medication like Zoloft or Paxil for PPD. You can always call your local pharmacy ask speak with the pharmacist about interactions.

yes i've heard its the brewer's yeast that increases supply, not the alcohol. the ibclc at my local hospital suggested drinking 3 non alcoholic beers a day, and another suggested just buying the yeast from the health food store and taking that three times a day. didn't try it.. but its worth a shot

This may be a totally well, stupid question, but would taking yeast (tablet or otherwise) increase your chance of a yeast infection?? thrush??? Just wondering?

good ? kristen.. I don't know... Hopefully someone will answer that one!