Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek and heartburn?

Question Fenugreek and heartburn?

I take a Fenugreek capsule (as approved by my doctor) before bed when I take my prenatal vitamin, and I noticed sometimes (more than not) it gives me minor heartburn, or you know if you swallow a pill the wrong way and it feels like it's stuck at the bottom of your throat??? well, it feels like that the rest of the night and sometimes even when I wake up in the morning.

If I take it during the day I feel the same aggitation, like the pill is stuck in my throat. Also, I noticed I can taste the pill (it tastes like black liquorish to me, or Jager!) an hour or so later, or when i wake up in the morning I can taste it or if I burp (ew!).

Has this happened with anyone else? or is it just me. The only time I've ever had heartburn was when I was pregnant, so I don't think I am sensitive. It isn't really enough to discourage me, but it's annoying and uncomfortable no matter how much water I gulp.

Default Re: Fenugreek and heartburn?

I have read that diarrhea and gas are some common side effects. I took Fenugreek, and the only side effects I experienced were sweat and pee that smelled like maple syrup! Here's a link that discusses the various aspects of the herb, as well as possible side effects:

Fenugreek Seed for Increasing Milk Supply

How much are you taking? How long have you been taking the herb? I took three pills three times a day for about a week. As mentioned in the above referenced Web site, "Use of more than 100grams of fenugreek seeds daily can cause intestinal distress and nausea (recommended dose is less than 8 grams per day)."

I would talk to your doctor and consider stopping usage if the pain is severe. Different women react differently to Fenugreek, and it is not for everyone.

Hope that helps.

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

thanks! I only take it once a day, and since I started it seems to be less and less. It's not pain as much as disconfort and annoyance.

Sorry it's uncomfortable Have you noticed it working yet? If it gives you any hope, it worked for me! It did give me an oversupply, but the LO and I worked it out over a few weeks. That doesn't happen to everyone, but I think I went a little overboard with pumping and taking the fenugreek to build my supply. I was a little paranoid. I'd rather have an oversupply than an undersupply KWIM?

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com