Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply issues

Question Supply issues

About 3 weeks ago, our lo started changing her eating habits (not eating very long or much). I have been pumping out about 3 ozs when I can, but today we gave her a bottle and she ate 7 1/2 ozs. I think I am not producing enough milk for her. I am getting so frustrated that I am thinking about changing to pump/bottle feeding. Any ideas?

Default Re: Supply issues

Hi Mikina,

How old is you LO? Very often, as babies get older, they become more efficient at the breast, so they are able to consume enough milk to meet their needs in a very short period of time.

Also, babies are much better at removing milk from the breast than pumps are. If you are able to pump 3oz, it is usually safe to assume that baby is getting quite a bit more than that while nursing.

Is LO still having plenty of wet/poopy diapers? Remember that input equals output. If there is enough coming out, there is enough going in. Is her weight gain good? Is she meeting her developmental milestones? Does she *look* healthy? All these are signs that baby is getting enough to eat.

Actually, the nursing pattern you describe is usually a sign that mama has an *abundant* milk supply, if baby is otherwise healthy and thriving. HTH.

Take Care,

Tiana

Kaitlyn is 4 months old. When you say effecient, does that mean that she is able to get about 6-7 oz (what we think she is eating now) out in 10 minutes or less. First thing in the morning, that is how long she will eat. Other times during the day it is usually less. I know she is distracted and all because when we give her the bottle she is sitting up and looking out and will eat the whole thing. I just want to make sure she is getting enough because if this keeps up we will have to switch to the bottle. Also, her diaper are finally increasing in wetness since we started the bottle. For a while there, they were decreased.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikina View Post
    Kaitlyn is 4 months old. When you say effecient, does that mean that she is able to get about 6-7 oz (what we think she is eating now) out in 10 minutes or less.
    Yes. That is certainly possible. I cannot promise you that this is the case in your circumstance, but this is within the realm of "normal".

Also, her diaper are finally increasing in wetness since we started the bottle. For a while there, they were decreased.
    How few wet diapers was she having? In general, baby should be having 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 really wet disposables) per day. How are her bowel movements? BM patterns can vary significantly after the first few months. Many 4 month olds continue to have one or two good bms per day. Some moms find that the frequency of bms decreases as baby gets older, but the volume increases proportionally. So, if baby is having a bm only once every few days, it is usually a very big one.

I know she is distracted and all because when we give her the bottle she is sitting up and looking out and will eat the whole thing.
    It sounds to me like you need ideas for getting a distractable baby to nurse. This is actually a pretty common challenge as babies get older. Many moms find that turning off the T.V., taking the phone off the hook, dimming the lights, and quieting the surrounding conversation goes a long way toward keeping baby at the breast long enough to be satisfied. Some babies benefit from a regular "nursing spot", such as a rocking chair in a quiet room. Others prefer to nurse lying down in bed.

Let me know if you think any of this would be helpful in your situation.

Tiana