Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I pumping too much?

Default Am I pumping too much?

So typically I feed my daughter before work at 5:30ish & then pump at 8, 10, feed her at lunch, and pump at 2. Typically she eats every 3 hrs at daycare.

The problem is that I work part time & on the days (T and Th) we are home, she has a lot of reflux. Sometimes she eats every 2.5 hrs, sometimes she eats every 3 hrs, sometimes every 2 hrs. It varies. I am wondering if I'm pumping too much based on how she's eating at daycare.

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Am I pumping too much?

How much are you pumping and how much is she eating?

My daughter hated bottles, so I always pumped more than she drank and ended up freezing quite a bit. But I always hoped she would drink the amount I thought she needed and sent it with her every day.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

yeah, it depends on how much you're pumping in ounces. I often have to pump three times to get enough for what my LO needs during the day. And I just tried to pump based on when i thought he'd be hungry if i were home. And I would never go longer than three hours without pumping. I've started being a tiny bit more lax about it now that he's almost ten months, but that just means at this point that I don't pump a third time if i have enough milk for the next day.

It sounds like from your schedule you're doing what i would do because if you stretched out the 10 pump to 1030 or 11, it might be harder (or jsut take longer) to feed her at lunch. I know I don't like to pump after 3 in the afternoon and I get home at five to nurse.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I am pumping ~3 oz each session. She typically eats 8 oz but sometimes 10-12 oz at daycare. She is doing much better with the bottle now. I think she gets enough based on diapers. She only has reflux issues on the days we are together, which makes me think my supply is bugging her.

I wouldn't think it's your supply... it sounds like you are pumping almost exactly what she normally eats. Perhaps your let down is really forceful? Or maybe there is something different that the babysitter does after your baby eats that you don't do? Or perhaps she actually takes more from you than she does the bottle and her little tummy gets too full?

What are her reflux issues like?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Or perhaps she actually takes more from you than she does the bottle and her little tummy gets too full?

What are her reflux issues like?
    that's what i was thinking. I'm 99% sure my LO eats significantly faster and more when he nurses than when he eats from a bottle. That's totally fine now because his system seems to handle it, but at one time it meant more gas and more spit up. One thing that helped us a lot after he nursed was to burp him longer than I think he needed to. He didn't have reflux, though, so i'm not sure if htat's something that would help in your situation or not. I'm just thinking it might especially if it's not a constant problem and the problem doesn't seem to be coming as a reaction to your milk, but rather a reaction to how it's being consumed.

I'm curious to know how the reflux presents too - is she in pain? Have you tried different nursing positions and keeping her more upright for longer after she's done nursing?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thanks for your responses. So my pumping schedule sounds right. Darn. I was hoping to eliminate the 10 am pumping.

Basically she burps (wet burps) and spits up a lot with me. She also just seems more uncomfortable after eating with me.

I do try to feed her upright as much as possible but the reflux issues still occur. I'm still working on how to feed her in my carrier.

I'll admit that sometimes I nurse her to sleep w/o burping because she gets upset if I wake her up.

This is really helpful. So aside from time, longer burp time, & more upright feeding, nothing else I should be doing?

In terms of pumping, when I pumped I tended to look at the total number of ounces I needed to get for that day. I wanted to send Lilah with 12 ounces of milk every day, we are apart for 10.5 hours and didn't nurse for about 11 hours or a little more depending on when she wanted to nurse in the morning before we left to bring her to the sitter.

So, even though she generally ate between 5 and 8 ounces while I was away from her, I always sent her with 12 - and then would usually end up freezing about 4 ounces a day from what I pumped. And even though I pumped 4 ounces more a day than she was eating from the bottles, I did not see a change in her nursing behavior before or after I started working - if that makes sense. Basically, she didn't start spitting up more than before. I'm certain that she nursed at least the 12 ounces and probably more than I pumped.

Do you think she has reflux? Or that she's just spitting up? I know at that age, any time Lilah got her hands in her mouth she would puke all over the place. And a friend of mine is a SAHM, her daughter would spit up quite a bit several times a day because she had such a forceful letdown. And she never pumped.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I always feel you can never pump too much b/c if you have extras you can freeze it for use later or donate it for use with NICU babies. As long are you are making enough to send in to feed your LO you are doing great! I agree with PP that she is likely getting more from you than you realize. If they ever invent a gauge for our breast so we know how much we are feeding from the breast the inventor will become a millionaire.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

It's funny how quickly things change w/ a baby. She's been doing a lot better with me. I'm not a 100% sure it's reflux but from the time she was 2/so months old to about now, she would get really fussy nursing during the day, esp in the mornings, seem very uncomfortable & have lots of wet burps. I don't know --maybe it was related to my let down because she never exhibited any other signs. The pedi did say 4 months would be tough because of the drooling, hand in mouth. Thankfully things are better.

I only got ~7 oz today total so I better stick w/ all of the pumping. Boo!