Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My pumping stats

Default My pumping stats

So I am in the process of pump-weaning, DS will be 1 year old on Monday! I have been slowing down on pumping at work, and starting to use some of my freezer stash lately. I am so proud that DS has not had any formula for his entire first year! Although I will admit that last week I started having daycare offer him cow's milk at breakfast instead of EBM, to start getting him used to the taste and so forth, but then I nurse him at daycare after he has finished breakfast. And he is still getting EBM in his sippy cup at lunch & snack, and I also go up and nurse him after he eats lunch, and of course in the evenings/nighttime/weekends when we are together.

So this is random, but I have been keeping an Excel spreadsheet since February with all my pumping info... it has the ounces for each time I have pumped, as well as total pumping output for each day, etc. I pump while I'm at work, and occasionally in the evening at home after DS has gone to bed, depending on my output at work that day. So here's my stats:

Total number of ounces pumped: 1394.75 oz
    Average number of ounces per day: 9.1 oz
    Average number of ounces per pumping session: 3.85 oz
    Most ounces pumped in one day: 13 oz
    Fewest ounces pumped in one day: 3 oz
    Most ounces pumped in one session: 8.25 oz
    Fewest ounces pumped in one session: 1 oz
    # times pumped: 153
    Average number of times pumping per day: 2.4
    Most times pumped in one day: 5
    Fewest times pumped in one day: 1

This is data from Feb 25 up to yesterday Oct 20.

Nobody IRL would actually care about any of this stuff, but I thought you mamas might get a kick out of it.

IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Default Re: My pumping stats

I TOTALLY get a kick out of it - i wish i'd kept track!!!

Can I ask when you started to pump wean and how you're doing it? My DS is almost ten months old. I'm not there yet, but not too far away.

Cograts on making it a year working full time It's hard work, and so so worth it.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

WOW! Way to go! Congrats and Happy first BDay to the LO!
    How did you manage to keep track for that long?
    You with your data give me HOPE that I'll be ok with my pumping. I just returned to work on monday and not responding to pump very well
    (did better at home though), so I pump around 11-12 oz a day and thought its too little (morning output is higher then afternoon one, yesterday at 2pm could only get 1.5 oz:-(((, but 6oz in the am hours). But total is what counts, right?
    Congrats again and thanks for the inspiration!
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

this is so great! makes me wish i had kept track.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    Cograts on making it a year working full time It's hard work, and so so worth it.

i'm also in the process of pump weaning. went from 3x a day at work with 20min sessions and now down to 1x 5 min session (mostly just to keep me comfortable) using up my freezer stash and giving him 1 cup of almond milk at dc.

i sure don't miss pumping as much, but man do i miss those 3 20min 'breaks' during the day!
    FTM to Cypress Levon born all natural 10/5/09

Happily
    and while I work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    I TOTALLY get a kick out of it - i wish i'd kept track!!!

Can I ask when you started to pump wean and how you're doing it? My DS is almost ten months old. I'm not there yet, but not too far away.

Thanks!! It IS hard work and definitely worth it.

I started keeping track because I had always wished I kept track when I was pumping for my first baby... and this time I was already back to work and pumping for about 2 months before I started keeping track, so I don't have data for all of January or any until Feb 25, but that's ok.

I started pump weaning probably a month or two ago... I generally have been pumping once in the morning at work, and then 1-2 times in the afternoon. I started by "testing" the waters on Fridays... I "treated" myself on Fridays by eliminating my morning pumping session and giving myself a break on those days and then just pumping once in the afternoon. I always freeze whatever I pump on Friday, and then un-thaw my oldest milk for Monday, so it doesn't matter if I don't pump enough on Friday... I have a fairly significant freezer stash... I think at one time it was around 200 ounces, and is now probably around 100 ounces, so even if I only froze 4 ounces on Friday, I would still defrost 10-12 ounces for Monday, and just use up a little of my freezer stash, kwim? This strategy has also allowed me to rotate my freezer stash and begin using it up, because I think the milk I am now defrosting is from end of July/early August timeframe.

So now I have completely eliminated the morning session, and I am just pumping once in the afternoon, and using my freezer stash to make up the difference. Within the next week or so, I will likely phase out the last pumping session completely.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mygirls View Post
    WOW! Way to go! Congrats and Happy first BDay to the LO!
    How did you manage to keep track for that long?
    You with your data give me HOPE that I'll be ok with my pumping. I just returned to work on monday and not responding to pump very well
    (did better at home though), so I pump around 11-12 oz a day and thought its too little (morning output is higher then afternoon one, yesterday at 2pm could only get 1.5 oz:-(((, but 6oz in the am hours). But total is what counts, right?
    Congrats again and thanks for the inspiration!
    You can do it mama!! Try not to stress yourself out over the pumping... your total is all that matters! I always found that if I watched the bottles fill, I seemed to pump less... I had better success when I read a book or listened to my ipod, or watched a movie on my ipod while pumping... anything to distract myself from watching the bottles fill.

I kept track by keeping a little post-it pad and a pen in my pump bag. After each session I would write it down, and then later transfer the data into an Excel spreadsheet.

ETA: I also wanted to say... the thing that has really helped me meet my goals in pumping enough is that my DS's daycare ROCKS and they are totally aware that my milk is precious, liquid gold and they try really, really hard not to waste any. For example, now that he is drinking his EBM cold, from a sippy, they only put in a few ounces at a time to start. If he drinks it all, they give him 1 more ounce. If he drinks that, they put in one more ounce, etc. I guess what I'm saying is they don't put 5 ounces in his cup, and then if he ends up not drinking it all a bunch would be wasted, kwim? Also, when he was on bottles, I always made the bottles small-ish, never more than 4 ounces in a bottle. And the other key this time (that I didn't do when I was pumping for my first baby) is that I am going up at lunch to nurse him, which counts as a "feeding" and really takes the pressure off me to pump as much. Plus I get the added bonus of seeing my DS during the middle of the day, and the extra nursing session mid-day helps my supply too.
    Last edited by @llli*buff24; October 21st, 2010 at 09:31 AM.

My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

yay for pump weaning and one year on just breast milk! I know I have 2 notebooks of how much I pumped how much she drank of pumped milk and also how much she nursed (we borrowed a scale from LCs for 3 months). If dd ever wants to know how many and when she had wet diapers her first 3 months we have those stats, too! That is cool you kept records like that.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

happy early birthday mason!!!

buff, i wish I had done that too. I put everything else in Excel but I never even thought about it.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Happy early Birthday, Mason!

That's so awesome that you were able to keep track of all of that, Buff!
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Smile Re: My pumping stats

That is Awesome! I had to show my DH b/c I have an Excel file too! He said Great - there are 2 of you out there!

After having my first LO I too wondered how much I pumped. I was a milk donor and I knew how much I donated but not how much I used myself (I made yogurt, ice cream and cheese for my LO with it). Yes, I was a cow! This time I am keeping a file and here are my stats.

Pumping since Aug 1:
    Total number of ounces pumped: 455 oz
    Average number of ounces per day: 11.1 oz
    Most ounces pumped in one day: 27 oz
    Most ounces pumped in one session: 12 oz (overnight DH let me sleep only to find me in a puddle of milk)
    # times pumped: 110
    Average number of times pumping per day: 2.8
    Fewest times pumped in one day: 0

Longest time with pump on: 1.5 hours (fell asleep pumping)

I am so happy I am not the only milk making geek!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Thanks for the early birthday wishes for Mason!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mary.mud View Post
    That is Awesome! I had to show my DH b/c I have an Excel file too! He said Great - there are 2 of you out there!

After having my first LO I too wondered how much I pumped. I was a milk donor and I knew how much I donated but not how much I used myself (I made yogurt, ice cream and cheese for my LO with it). Yes, I was a cow! This time I am keeping a file and here are my stats.

Pumping since Aug 1:
    Total number of ounces pumped: 455 oz
    Average number of ounces per day: 11.1 oz
    Most ounces pumped in one day: 27 oz
    Most ounces pumped in one session: 12 oz (overnight DH let me sleep only to find me in a puddle of milk)
    # times pumped: 110
    Average number of times pumping per day: 2.8
    Fewest times pumped in one day: 0

Longest time with pump on: 1.5 hours (fell asleep pumping)

I am so happy I am not the only milk making geek!
    Yep, definitely a milk making geek here. Our averages are pretty similar! How fun to keep track! Way to go mama!!