Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice to keep up supply while supplementing

Default Re: Advice to keep up supply while supplementing

I realize they're never empty, but if I try to feed him more often than every two hours he swallows MUCH less than if he gets that much time. It seems that after a three hour break I'm at the fullest. That RARELY happens since he's a hungry guy. Mostly it happens overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by 10pounder View Post
    I realize they're never empty, but if I try to feed him more often than every two hours he swallows MUCH less than if he gets that much time. It seems that after a three hour break I'm at the fullest. That RARELY happens since he's a hungry guy. Mostly it happens overnight.
    Remember too that the emptier your breast is, the higher fat and calorie density of your milk. Even though the milk volume and flow have decreased, your baby is getting a richer, fattier milk at these feedings! And the the emptier your breast, the faster more milk is being produced. Waiting until you "fill up" more is counterproductive, and you'll end up lowering your supply in the long run.

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thanks for the good wishes.

I don't wait until I fill up to feed him, but on the other hand if I put him to the breast and he stops swallowing almost immediately then I know it's best to give him some formula so he's actually getting nutrients. And I've learned that he'll demand it anyway when he comes off, which is whenever I force the issue because he'll literally suckle without swallowing for HOURS. I'm a human pacificier (and how won't take the plastic kind). So I've been down the road of on demand, no limit nursing and it doesn't seem to work for us to increase supply.

The phrase "cluster feeding" definitely depresses me. There's just no swallowing after a short while if he nurses close together. From all of what I've read and the advice I've gotten, this isn't usual for most women. I'm grateful to have spoken to a couple who have had the same issue and can commiserate.

Also when I pump after he eats, I get maybe a quarter ounce when I put the bottles from both breasts together. It's not a supplement option but once a day maybe.

Keeping my chin up....

Quote Originally Posted by 10pounder View Post
    Thanks for the good wishes.

I don't wait until I fill up to feed him, but on the other hand if I put him to the breast and he stops swallowing almost immediately then I know it's best to give him some formula so he's actually getting nutrients. And I've learned that he'll demand it anyway when he comes off, which is whenever I force the issue because he'll literally suckle without swallowing for HOURS. I'm a human pacificier (and how won't take the plastic kind). So I've been down the road of on demand, no limit nursing and it doesn't seem to work for us to increase supply.

The phrase "cluster feeding" definitely depresses me. There's just no swallowing after a short while if he nurses close together. From all of what I've read and the advice I've gotten, this isn't usual for most women. I'm grateful to have spoken to a couple who have had the same issue and can commiserate.

Also when I pump after he eats, I get maybe a quarter ounce when I put the bottles from both breasts together. It's not a supplement option but once a day maybe.

Keeping my chin up....
    I'm so sorry to hear how you are struggling and quite impressed by your determination to continue breastfeeding! What a wonderful mommy!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon