Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaning & Starting Formula for medical reasons

Default Weaning & Starting Formula for medical reasons

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I'm looking for some help! I had to wean my 7 1/2 month old for medical reasons. I am taking a nerve medication for a bulged disc, so I can't BF anymore. It doesn't look like I'm going to get off of the med in time to return to storing milk before my freezer stash runs out.

The weaning went better than expected, and I don't think my son even remembers that there was an alternative to the bottle, which is great! The problem is, I need to start him on a formula before my freezer stash is gone. I tried Enfamil Lipil last night, and he kept gagging on it. Does anyone have any other suggestions for something that might be easier to switch to? I really need to find something that he likes before we run out and are stuck with nothing.

Thanks!

Default Re: Weaning & Starting Formula for medical reasons

You should ask your doctor about it, but I'm guessing that since they all pretty much taste the same switching to a different formula isn't going to help as far as him not liking the taste.

Normally it isn't recommended to mix breastmilk and formula, but in situations like this I know other moms who have had success mixing 3/4 bm with 1/4 formula and then slowly transitioning to full formula over the course of a few days or a week.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Introducing formula - need help!

I also posted this under weaning, but I don't think anyone is in that forum so I thought I would try my luck here!

I had to wean my 7 1/2 month old for medical reasons. I am taking a nerve medication for a bulged disc, so I can't BF anymore. It doesn't look like I'm going to get off of the med in time to return to storing milk before my freezer stash runs out.

The weaning went better than expected, and I don't think my son even remembers that there was an alternative to the bottle, which is great! The problem is, I need to start him on a formula before my freezer stash is gone. I tried Enfamil Lipil last night, and he kept gagging on it. Does anyone have any other suggestions for something that might be easier to switch to? I really need to find something that he likes before we run out and are stuck with nothing.

with the PP. Generally you don't want to mix formula and BM because there's the chance that you'd have to dump some BM if baby doesn't finish the bottle. But in this case, it's probably more important to get the baby used to formula.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Introducing formula - need help!

Are you still pumping your milk? Perhaps contacting Dr.Newman for a second opinion on whether or not it is safe to BF would be helpful?

Mama I don't think many mamas on here have the experience with formula that would warrent a recommendation. KWIM? Maybe talking with your doctor or a FF forum would help? and
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Any formula you switch to is going to take an adjustment. It will probably take about 2 weeks until your baby is used to the taste. I would start out mixing the formula with your remaining BM and slowly increase the amount of formula.

It's actually a bad idea to keep switching formula, I would stick with what you bought and just give it more time.

Also, try heating up the bottles a little if you're not already doing so.

And FYI all formula tastes awful and bitter compared to BM.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I can't make any recommendations about formula, but if you'd like to PM me the name of your medication, I'd be glad to check what info there is on its compatibility with breastfeeding.

Best of luck!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I am still pumping right now, but not as much. I am beginning to think it's pointless to be attached to the machine several times a day when all I can do is pump and dump, and I won't be able to save it (ever?) at least until it's too late and I run out of what I have frozen.
    I thought I might be looking in the wrong place for formula advice, but it was worth a shot.

Most medications you actually do not have to stop breastfeeding mama, even though most doctors and even pharmacists will tell you to because they are not trained in breastfeeding and medications and how they transfer into breast milk.

What med do they want to put you on?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Neurontin. My neurosurgeon, OB, and lactation consultant/mom all said it transfers and they didn't advise BF. It's not worth the risk that I will pass a nerve suppressant to my son through my milk. I feel a little like an outsider on this forum all of a sudden! I BF exclusively and very successfully for about 6 1/2 months, even after returning to work. I didn't stop because I wanted to, but because I felt it was safest for my son. I was hoping to be off of the medication and able to pump for him again, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen and I don't want to wait to switch him to an alternative when it's too late. If I wait and he won't drink formula and I'm out of BM, then what?? I'm getting nervous...