Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suggestions for Bottles

Default Suggestions for Bottles

I am returning to work in six weeks. So far my son is not interested in the bottle at all. I would like suggestions of the types/brands of bottles to try to use to get transition my son from breastfeeding to using the bottle during my time at work.

Default Re: Suggestions for Bottles

Each baby is different. I would suggest experimenting to see which one he likes best. We never really used too many bottles, but when we did it was Dr. Brown's because he had really bad acid reflux.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    Each baby is different. I would suggest experimenting to see which one he likes best. We never really used too many bottles, but when we did it was Dr. Brown's because he had really bad acid reflux.

We ended up using Playtex Drop-Ins with the Natural Latch silicone nipples, after DD refused the BreastFlow bottles. I just recommend checking the SafeMama Cheat Sheet to make sure the bottles you choose are BPA-free.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post

We ended up using Playtex Drop-Ins with the Natural Latch silicone nipples, after DD refused the BreastFlow bottles. I just recommend checking the SafeMama Cheat Sheet to make sure the bottles you choose are BPA-free.
    we use all dr. browns - i got all evenflo glass bottles because i wanted to avoid plastic entirely, even BPA free, but LO refused those at the beginnning. I couldn't find the glass dr. brown's at the beginning, now they're everywhere. Things have changed a lot very quickly with BPA

We originally went to dr. browns because DH was terrified when i went back to work that he'd screw up, and dr. browns are pretty fool proof.

He will pretty much eat out of anything now, including a cup, but i think at the beginning, especially with a gassy baby it's important to have the air release. (i don't know that my baby was particularly gassy, i just wanted a reason for his general mal-content those first few weeks! )

I know Maine is not selling baby bottles anymore with BPA, and there's a lot of pressure to take it out of all storage containers.

and sorry to go OT here - but an interesting tidbit is that Ziploc brand food strorage bags are made without bpa. Store brands are not necessarily made without BPA. Same with the harder plastic storage containers.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post

My LO refuses a bottle from me. Take a Breast Flow bottle from DH at night and Dr. Browns glass if day time. She takes Breastflow from one teacher at daycare and a Dr. Brown's from the other 2 teachers. We can't figure out why but just give her what she wants. When she gets bigger we will try to get her to use 1 type of bottle but we had all of these form LO1.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk