Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking for help

Default Looking for help

I'm looking from some advice from some of you who have been through all this before. I know there are some posts on food sensitivities but I didn't come across anything to specifically address my issues.
    My son is 7 weeks old, exclusively breastfed and very, very fussy during the day. He sleeps great at night and is mostly fussy after his daytime feedings. And not just a little fussy but screaming, back-arching, real tears, and completely inconsolable.
    Since it was only happening during the day, his doctor believed he was being over-stimulated. We tried to go with the doctor's theory but he is just too uncomfortable for us to believe it is just over-stimulation.
    We recently tried gripe water during one if his episodes and it made a huge difference, immediately calmed him down. And it convinced me that he is having discomfort related to digestion.
    While I am thrilled the gripe water works, I still want to find the answer to what is causing his discomfort in the first place.
    His only fussy periods are during the time of day that I eat (ie, his first morning feeding and overnight feedings are fine) so I am thinking that something I am eating must be having a very immediate presence in my milk that is upsetting his stomach.
    I have tried cutting out dairy and chocolate but didn't see a real change. I have determined eggs are a real issue but I don't eat them that often (and not at all anymore) so there must be something else. Just wondering if anyone is aware of any other specific ingredients in foods that would create such a drastic reaction and be in/out of my system so quickly.
    Appreciate any feedback or thoughts! Thanks!

Default Re: Looking for help

Do you drink coffee or massive amounts of caffeine? Sometimes that can cause discomfort.

Have you noticed green or foamy stools? That could indicate a foremilk-hindmilk imbalance and that can cause excessive fussiness/gassiness as well.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for your thoughts!
    No coffee but some caffeine (under 100mg a day), it is a good suggestion, I'll try removing that as well.
    He has normal yellowish poo.
    Thanks!

I doubt it would be the problem in such small amounts, but it's definitely worth a shot.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous