Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to start?

Default how to start?

I'm planning on starting 6-month-old dd on formula this week. I'm only planning to partially wean her because she starts day care in a few weeks. My plan is for her to have formula at day care and nurse at home. When is the best time to give her the first bottle? I was planning on her late afternoon feeding when my supply tends to be lower. I welcome any suggestions!

Default Re: how to start?

I'll be looking at this thread as well. I'm starting to think about weaning at least partially and I'd like to know other people's experiences about it.

Well, I don't have any experience with this, but I'd think maybe during the time of day that you will be at work? There is a section on this board dedicated to working and BFing, so maybe check there for some ideas. Have you thought about pumping?

Hi Nissa. Do you know that it is not at all necessary to supplement with formula, even when you go back to work?

Please do check out the forum here on the board for employed mothers. Also, you might find the following articles both comforting and helpful.

How Can I Make My Return to Work Easier?

Working & Breastfeeding, a collection of articles and FAQ

Yes, I'm aware that I don't need to give her formula, but my work is not going to permit time for pumping. Please don't think I haven't thought about this long and hard!! I'm simply looking for advice on how to start the formula...a pretty innocent question

Hi Nissa, thank you for clarifying, now I understand. La Leche League does not have any information on how or when to start formula, as our main focus is breastfeeding. What to feed your baby besides breastmilk is something you'll definitely want to consult your pediatrician about.

I'm sure you will hear from other working moms who may have been in a similar situation.

Here are some links on the LLL FAQ area about supplementing & weaning:

Which Formula Should I Use?

How Do I Wean My Baby?

And here are a couple of related NON-LLL links on partial formula feeding/breastfeeding:

What You Should Know About Formula

Need to Use Formula? Some Specifics

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Yes, I'm aware that I don't need to give her formula, but my work is not going to permit time for pumping. Please don't think I haven't thought about this long and hard!! I'm simply looking for advice on how to start the formula...a pretty innocent question
    I don't think anyone meant to offend, Nissa. Everyone is here to help, even if our suggestions don't seem to come off that way, kwim? (((hugs)))

Partial weaning works for many families. Here is a link you might find helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

Another thing you might find helpful is having daycare offer your baby solids, and exclusively nurse when you are together.

About starting formula, maybe you could just offer a bottle every now and again to be sure that your baby tolerates it? You could then begin the partial formula feeds when your baby begins daycare.

If you're worried about becoming overly full while at work, do know that it's possible for you to hand express or use a manual pump to remove just enough milk to remain comfortable. Your production levels will eventually level out. If you notice production dipping a little too much, you could try exclusively nursing on your days off!

HTH!

I suggest introducing the bottle before she's really hungry and when she's in a great mood. My dd refused bottles, but would take a tiny bit of EBM if I was far away. Your baby might not take a bottle from you and may need to learn the new rules AT day care. If that's the case, just give the day care a heads up. Kids act so differently for mom then they do for other care providers (thank goodness). Hopefully day care will have some strategies, like different holds, to get a breastfed baby to take a bottle. My dd did like soy formula after she turned one... she always wanted a taste of what I was feeding the baby I babysat. Silly girl. Once I no longer wanted her to take a bottle, THEN she was interested.