Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-8 days?

Default 3-8 days?

My Medela info says refrigerated milk can last from 3-8 days - that's quite a range. Is there any info that's more specific?

I pump on Fridays, and don't need it until Tuesday so I've been freezing on Friday, thawing in preparation for Tuesday. But then if it's not used, it's thrown out. I'd love to not freeze it - will it be ok?
    Mom to 3 boys and loving it!
    J born 5/22/10, BF for 1 year
    N & L born 4/10/13

Default Re: 3-8 days?

Yep it'll be ok. And fresh is better than frozen so if you can avoid freezing it's best (though frozen is still great). If you have any doubts, give it a sniff/taste test. Also, baby won't drink it if it's gone bad.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Fri-Tues is ok
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Awesome, thank you!!
    Mom to 3 boys and loving it!
    J born 5/22/10, BF for 1 year
    N & L born 4/10/13

I second the taste test idea!

BM should taste like sweet cow's milk. If it's spoiled it smells/tastes like spoiled milk.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

This is a bit of a hijack but....my breastmilk always tastes/smells bad to me, even when it is freshly pumped (I tasted it so I would know what good tasted like). Anyone else with yucky milk. Well my daughter seems to like it so I guess it can't be too yucky.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

does it taste soapy
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

not soapy, just like sour milk (I acutally threw some out until I tasted fresh expressed). I kinda wonder how my daughter likes it.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I don't especially care for the taste of my milk, either. It has sort of an aftertaste to it that is kind of funky to me. I ended up throwing out a bunch of my frozen milk because I tasted it as it thawed and I tasted the funk, but then I pumped fresh and it tasted the same. It's hard for me to describe, but it starts out sweet like sweetened cow's milk, but finishes kind of earthy/funky/tangy in some way. My son loves to nurse, though, so
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    not soapy, just like sour milk (I acutally threw some out until I tasted fresh expressed). I kinda wonder how my daughter likes it.
    Would you say it tastes like partially digested milk?

If your daughter doesn't have a problem with it, don't worry about it. But it could be a lipase issue - there's a sticky on either the pumping or milk storage forum page about that.

My fresh milk didn't taste like sweet cow's milk to me either... but it didn't taste like sour milk either. My roughly two day old and any frozen milk tasted like partially digested milk (vomit-y).
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months