Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Long Trip - Really need advice

Default Long Trip - Really need advice

We are going on a couple of very long (16 hours) car trips in a couple weeks with our son, who will be 7 weeks. He HATES his car seat, so I anticipate needing to spend a lot of time feeding him pumped milk during the trip so that we don't have to stop every two hours (though we probably still will have to to change him).

I am sooo afraid of this trip being super stressful. Has anyone ever done anything like this? I have a fair bit of frozen milk, and have been advised to pump in the car on the trip, which makes sense since I have no idea how I would heat up the milk otherwise.

Has anyone done a long trip like this with such a young baby? I can't exaggerate how much I don't want to do this. Any and all advice (other than don't go or fly - neither are options) will be VERY welcome.

Default Re: Long Trip - Really need advice

You know what I wish I had figured out sooner? Nursing in the carseat. It really saved me. We went on a lot of long trips to see family and Nora hated the carseat. It was horrible, we were either stopping every few minutes or having to listen to her cry because no matter how often or long we stopped she'd immediately start screaming again the second she was in the seat.

Once I figured out how to sit next to her with my seatbelt on and lean over her seat to nurse her it got so much easier. She would quiet down and even fall asleep. We used a pacifier in the car as well, it sometimes had the same effect, but not usually and not for long trips.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    You know what I wish I had figured out sooner? Nursing in the carseat. It really saved me. We went on a lot of long trips to see family and Nora hated the carseat. It was horrible, we were either stopping every few minutes or having to listen to her cry because no matter how often or long we stopped she'd immediately start screaming again the second she was in the seat.

Once I figured out how to sit next to her with my seatbelt on and lean over her seat to nurse her it got so much easier. She would quiet down and even fall asleep. We used a pacifier in the car as well, it sometimes had the same effect, but not usually and not for long trips.
    Did this on a 16 hour car trip where we only had to stop twice for gas.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

We just took our first trip and it was only 6 hours (8 with baby), so I can only imagine how much anxiety a long trip would be! Hopefully with baby still so young, he will be tired enough to sleep a lot.

Have you looked into one of these for your frozen milk? car bottle warmerMaybe would cut down on the pressure to pump enough before every time he needs to eat in the car, even though you would still pump to keep supply up.

Nursing in the carseat sounds great, but I was unable to get it to work, so don't feel bad if you can't either!
    mom to Thomas Brocke - born May 5, 2010
    7 lbs 10 oz, 21 inches long
    8 lbs 3 oz at two weeks
    12 pounds, 24 1/2 inches at 2 months
    15 pounds at 4 months, 26 3/4 inches - he's gonna be a tall one!
    17 pounds at 6 months

Took us almost 10 weeks, but we successfully weaned from the nipple shield. Boobie au naturale!
    and at home and like a machine at work!

Can you break it up into 2 days and find a cheapo motel?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post

This is what I used to do with DS, even on short trips. I can't imagine what cars driving next to us thought about my body contortions!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertmama View Post
    This is what I used to do with DS, even on short trips. I can't imagine what cars driving next to us thought about my body contortions!
    I did this too. We tented the windows before our next trip. I also brought milk and had a car bottle warmer to heat pumped milk too. I also got a car adapted for mt pump (Medela PISA) and that helped b/c I could pump as I needed too.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk