Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 months and need suggestions

Default 11 months and need suggestions

DD is 11 months old and is nursing 6-8 times a day. I work 2-3 evenings a week and she usually gets 2 bottles when I'm gone. I'm almost out of frozen milk and I'm not able to pump much at all (1-1.5 oz per session). I used to be able to pump 3-5 oz easily.

I'm not sure what to do. She has wet diapers, but they are never very wet. She appears satisfied after she nurses. I just don't want her to wean early and I need to be able to have milk available while I'm gone. Has anyone else found themselves in this situation?

Thanks.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

Default Re: 11 months and need suggestions

You might start getting her used to taking less milk while you are gone, if you think that would work. Usually around 12 months it's ok to stop pumping altogether. It won't affect your supply when you are with her and by that time a lot of kids are eating enough solids to get them through a work day (or night) without expressed breastmilk. Another option would be to introduce cow's milk to replace breast milk, but that's not really necessary if your lo is still nursing 3-4 times a day.

If it's part of the bedtime routine I could see how that would make things more difficult. Some options for pumping more might be to increase the amount of time you are pumping per session, start pumping at other times, like after nursing, or adding a session in while you are at work. Eating oatmeal is good for upping output and there are herbal supplements available that might help. But 9-12 months is a pretty typical time for your pumping output to drop significantly.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous