Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing bottle at daycare

Default Refusing bottle at daycare

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the solids forum...

DS is 9 months old now. He's in daycare full time 8am-4pm mon-fri. With the exception of monday (because I'm on campus so I go to nurse him) he used to nurse at 8 when I drop him off, have snack shortly after, a 4oz bottle at 11 or 12 (depending on whether he fell asleep on the walk, but always before lunch), then lunch, then another 4oz bottle somewhere between 2 and 4 depending on how the day went and when he wanted it.

He eats solids really really well. He amazes people with how much he eats. I've made sure that the daycare knows to give him the milk first. And they do. But lately he's been drinking an oz or two and then stopping. And they tell me he gets upset if they try to push him to drink more. So they try to give him the rest after he eats. The past couple of days he only has 1 4oz bottle the entire day, instead of 2. And they have to force that one into him.
    In fact he doesn't nurse well there anymore either. When I drop him off or pick him up and try to nurse him he just wants to go play. He doesn't nurse as well as he used to. And it's not just that he's more efficient becuase I don't feel as empty when he's done.

I've read that around this age it's common for babies to start refusing bottles at daycare and just nurse when with mama. But is that really ok? Does it matter what solids he's eating or just that he's eating enough that he's not hungry?

He nurses at least 4x a day. At 6 when he wakes, at 8 when I drop him off, somwhere before supper (sometimes at daycare sometimes at home) and then once or twice between supper and bed. He's also still waking and nursing a few times a night.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: Refusing bottle at daycare

sounds like your doing the right things...

Hi,

I just wanted to say I am having the same problem. My baby is 8 1/2 months old and has been a wonderful breastfeeder, but is shy with solids and REFUSES to take a bottle. I feel terrible because I work part-time and I am in grad school which takes me away from her all day for a few days a month. She basically starves all day while I am gone. I usually wake her up in the early AM (4:00) to feed and then once more before I leave in the morning, and then try to fit in at least 2 nursings when I get home before she goes to bed at night (she sleeps all night, about 11 hours!). Normally, she nurses every 2 hours when I am home! Her weight has always been around 50% on growth charts. She will usually eat pureed vegetables once or twice while I am away, and may sip some water out of a sippy cup, but that is usually all she takes. It is so hard being away from her knowing that she goes hungry.

Does anyone have tips about how to introduce a bottle or other drinking cup at this age? Has anyone had success with a certain brand or type of bottle? Are there any tips for getting more nutrition into a no-bottle baby?

Thanks so much. Babylove, I hope it gets better for you, too.

Have either one of you tried sneaking some milk into the solids? Lilah always refused bottles and once she was eating solids we were able to mix some of the milk into the solids.

Amanda - if he's taking the solids and they are offering the milk, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Will he drink it out of a cup with his meal? I wonder if he would be more willing to do that than the bottles?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

He might just be too independent now to be held immobile and bottle-fed, kwim? Too much going on at daycare to stop for that.

A sippy might help. Lots of people recommend the NUK with the soft spout. My DS really likes straw sippies, he can sit upright and crawl around with them and drink when he feels like it. We haven't really tried breastmilk in a sippy to replace a bottle yet, DS is still just barely taking bottles at this point.

My DS has never been huge with bottles, and for the entire 6 months that he's been in daycare, he's almost always come home with some undrunk milk in a bottle, when I'm only sending the bare minimum of 1 oz per hour anyway. He's doing fine health, development, and weight-wise.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

He takes a sippy with water at meals so it makes sense to try the bm in there! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that!
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

well the sippy failed. he just chewed on it and spat out the milk.
    Amanda